Sick goat -help on vagina and feet?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pequino, Aug 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Pequino

Pequino New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I have a goat I left at a neighbors to breed. When I got her back she seems to have some kind of condition that is on her feet, around her eyes and her vagina. What is it? He said none of his other goats have it so it's not contagious but it doesn't seem to heal? I have attached pictures. please help!!!

Ps otherwise she is totally healthy

Attached Files:

2. Pequino

Pequino New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Additional picture

I added the picture of her hoof

Attached Files:

3. Chadwick

Chadwick New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Volant PA
    That is one scary pooch!

Sore mouth???

Someone will know!

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

My gut says Vestular Stomatitis. This is a very serious thing if that is what is it. The animal should not have been moved from the farm it got sick on. The disease is very contagious but, only 1/5 of exposed animals show the lesions. Apparently normal looking animals can carry the disease and pass it to others by body fluid. This would be why her vulva is so involved, she got it from the buck.

This is a reportable disease and requires a whole farm quarentine.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Possibly some kind of fungus. I'd be gently scrubbing her with some watered down chlorahexine or betadine once daily for several days.
    The heels can use the same treatment.

Oh dear, Goathiker!

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh poor baby!!! that looks bad... I agree you should wash it up...please wear gloves!!!... might be staph?

wow..Goat hiker..that scary!!

7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

There are major outbreaks in Texas and Colorado right now. Be cautious if you're in one of those states. Black flies, Sand flies, and midges pass it from animal to animal over distance.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I was reading about that...mostly in horses right now, but some cows too!!.. so scary!!