The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few days ago my buck was sick he's about 5 months old aprox.he had slight runny nose kinda off his feed looking a little down. a few days later I feed him on the stantion, he couldn't jump up fell over thought was strange helped him up there to eat which he picked at his food, always been a slow eater. A few days later found him laying on his side barely moving thought he was dead. Gave him Gatorade which he took sips, B complex , and penicillin. Temp is 96.3 rectal. He keeps his head turned to the right very stiff muscular, gets into deep almost unreponsive stupor takes a lot to arrouse him . Tried standing once fell over, will call out a little if wake him but it's so bleak I don't know what's going on I've never had a sick goat. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
First you need to get his temperature up. Put him in a trash bag, with his head out so he can breat, and put him in a bath tub of hot water. Hold him up so he won't drown. His temperature needs to be above 100* .

Reactions: healthyishappy

·
Registered
14 Posts
First you need to get his temperature up. Put him in a trash bag, with his head out so he can breat, and put him in a bath tub of hot water. Hold him up so he won't drown. His temperature needs to be above 100* .
First you need to get his temperature up. Put him in a trash bag, with his head out so he can breath, and put him in a bath tub of hot water, but not too hot. Hold him up so he won't drown. His temperature needs to be above 100* .

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Not to scare you but You have got to get that temp up now! Get him on a heating pad or wrapped in blankets warmed in a dryer. He needs large doses of vitamin b complex or thiamine. Start penicillin too! Give him some flat dark beer drenched.
Truthfully he needs a vet asap!
It sounds like polio/listeriosis

@toth boer goats @ksalvagno @goathiker

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to scare you but You have got to get that temp up now! Get him on a heating pad or wrapped in blankets warmed in a dryer. He needs large doses of vitamin b complex or thiamine. Start penicillin too! Give him some flat dark beer drenched.
Truthfully he needs a vet asap!
It sounds like polio/listeriosis

@toth boer goats @ksalvagno @goathiker

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
This has been going on too long. You need a vet like yesterday. That temp has to come up and you are going to have to do more than a blanket. His rumen is shutting down. You can try B complex. But honestly he needs to be warmed up and needs IV fluids.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, we don't have an on call vet have to be on Monday, I was worried about polio, he's such a sweet boy I will get a heating blanket on him too gave 3 cc vit b not sure how much to give that was 3 hrs ago

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Yes, we don't have an on call vet have to be on Monday, I was worried about polio, he's such a sweet boy I will get a heating blanket on him too gave 3 cc vit b not sure how much to give that was 3 hrs ago
How much does he weigh? He needs penicillin and thiamine every six hours around the clock. Giving him flat dark beer will help his rumen.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I'm sorry you lost him. Please learn from this. As soon as he had a runny nose, off feed and looking down, you needed to start treating him. You need to get a temp immediately. You can always start with giving probiotics and a B Complex shot. If you are inexperienced, then call the vet. When he fell off the milk stand, the vet should have been called immediately. Sometimes life lessons are hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Im very sorry you lost him. We have all been where you are. This is where knowing each goat is so important, cause you notice even the small stuff. He was showing signs of weakness, sub temp, and not eating well..these are serious signs.
Here is my protocol when an animal is off even a tiny bit.
Check temp ASAP. 101.5-103.5 is normal range
Check famacha, (lower inner lids) if you don't know how, learn now, practice a lot.
Listen and feel for rumen noise and action
A sick goat stands or lays to himself, tail maybe tucked, you may see him hunched, head hung, may see watery eyes, drooling.

When ever you are just not sure..do the check up. Have meds on hand.
Because you cant be sure what happened I recommend you check the whole herd. Especially for worm load. If he was wormy, others maybe also. Paying for a farm call from your vet is well worth it to have your herd checked and . plan of action formed incase one is needed. If you can not get a vet out, look for a a successful goat farmer to help.
Best wishes

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks
I'm sorry you lost him. Please learn from this. As soon as he had a runny nose, off feed and looking down, you needed to start treating him. You need to get a temp immediately. You can always start with giving probiotics and a B Complex shot. If you are inexperienced, then call the vet. When he fell off the milk stand, the vet should have been called immediately. Sometimes life lessons are hard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts