Sick goat. Not sure of cause of problem

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by joyfulmill, Oct 27, 2015.

1. joyfulmill

joyfulmill New Member

May 2, 2014
    I have a 6 month wether who is not doing well. I went out last night and he was laying flat on his side including head. At first I thought he was dead. I picked him up to carry him into the light and it was almost like I could hear things starting to work. He lifted his head, but didn't fight me at all. I put him down and he just stood there looking normal except quite thin. I gave him some molasses water. He drank some from a bowl then started to walk. after a few steps he went down on his front knees. I lifted him back up and he walked about 15 yards toward the hay area, then went down on his knees again. We gave him some alfalfa which he ate and ate and ate. After observing him for a while and being unsure of what to do next, I gave him a shot of Vitamin B Complex 5ml. He seemed to gain some strength, so we got his brother so he wouldn't be alone and moved them to our smaller pen that is right next to the house, so we could watch them more closely. Pee and poop are normal. Temp was 103. I gave him a shot of bovi sera, since I wasn't sure of what was wrong. Checking him through the night, he was standing, eating, pretty normal just looking like he didn't feel well. Went out to check on him at 10 am and he was laying on his side again, this time kicking his feet like he was trying to get up. I stood him up and he walked in to where the food was, which even requires a probably 4 inch step. checked his temp shortly after and it was 100.5. Checked it again in 15 minutes and it was 101.9. I then gave him some selenium and Vitamin E paste. Not sure what is going on with him. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Has he peed a good stream?

3. joyfulmill

joyfulmill New Member

May 2, 2014
    Yes he is peeing fine.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What color are the inside of his eyelids?

5. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Is he thin? Has he been dewormed or had cocci meds recently?

Here is what I would do...feed plenty of hay, browse...no grain for a bit, limited alfalfa pellets..keep up with daily bcomplex, give cocci meds, Tylan 200 and electrolytes. Check eyelids and deworm accordingly. If they are really pale, I'd start with injectable dewormer and wait a day or two, then give cocci meds for 5 days. If his eyelids are NOT pale...I'd start with cocci meds first, then do the injectable dewormer....After a day or two of finishing that, I'd hit him with a white dewormer for 3 days straight...then at ten day intervals for two more times.
    Sounds like he is trying to give up on you...That's why I'd hit him with everything I had.

That's just how I roll when I think one is trying to die on me...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  6. joyfulmill

joyfulmill New Member

May 2, 2014
    I will look at eyelids when I go out to check on him. What should I check for?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. joyfulmill

joyfulmill New Member

May 2, 2014
    In 3 years of raising goats I haven't had any die. I hate the thought of losing him even though he is "just a wether." What is "white dewormer?" He did seem better, tonight.

8. joyfulmill

joyfulmill New Member

May 2, 2014
    I was reading not to give antibiotic if there is no fever. How does everyone feel about this?

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Nygoatmom put it in a good way, he's trying to give up so give it your best shot........if he was mine I would give the antibiotics. Not all the time a fever will show. I had a few die from silent pneumonia and not one had a fever before they went sub and died on me not even a hour later.

10. joyfulmill

joyfulmill New Member

May 2, 2014
    I do not have tylan 200 on hand. I have biomycen & bactracillin. Would either of these work till I can get the Tylan 200.

11. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Use the biomycin.For a white dewormer I use valbazen.

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Low temp shows his body is shutting down...i agree no grain at all...keep hay and natural browse foods in front of him. It sounds to me he maybe anemic...him wanting to eat but too weak...valbazen is a good wormer choice...1 cc per 10#. .3 times..ten days between then again in 30 days
    If anemic..he will need red cell or injectable iron..b 12..and probiotics 3-4 hours after wormer/antibiotics.
    Mix 50/50 acv and water and drench him 30 cc once a day to help soeed recovery.