The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 African Pygmy goats - 3 are does and all 3 are pregnant by my breeder buck (last goat is a wether) All 3 does are due in the next few weeks, it will be the first freshening for all 3.

This morning I walked out to check on my goats and I had to second guess - there was a pile of poo in the barn stall that I honestly thought my pit bull had somehow gotten in and left a present. I looked at Isabella and sure enough, severe scours. Numerous smaller squirty piles around the stall.

I have on hand the following: Pig Paste, Dimethox 12.5 and Bovi Sera.

Before I start giving anything - considering they are due to birth in the next 2 weeks or so - What should I give? Is there something else I need?

I was thinking to start with Bovi-Sera to boost the immune system, give Pepto and Dimethox 12.5

But I dont want to do anything that will hurt the kids not yet born.

Hoping someone can give some quick advise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would deworm them with safe guard (since that is fine to give to a pregnant or milking doe, hence the name)

I would also give the bovi-sera and probiotics with their grain. Make sure they are staying hydrated!

·
1,524 Posts
Does she have a temp? Is she acting sick? Could she have eaten something that doesn't agree with her?

Some does will get loose when they get close to kidding. I have 2 that doe that. Also, if there is a chance that she ate something that is causing it, scouring will get rid of it, whereas if you "plug her up" so to speak, the offending object stays in the system for a longer time causing more issues. If that could be the case, baking soda balls and Vit B will balance her digestive system

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. Giving Bovi-Sera tonight. Making sure water is fresh and full.

She isnt acting sick. Not sure on temp. She is out grazing with rest of goats - squirting her way through the pasture. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts