Sick goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nubiansrus, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    A friend of mine has an apx 3 month old nubian doe that has come down sick. She has diahrrea and is standing there wont barely move with her head up in the area. She says her neck is slightly swollen and her cheek are seems swollen. Shes not eating or drinking. Shes giving her pedilite for the dehydrating. I thought it sounded like she got bite by something.. anyone else have anything like this happen? Any suggestions?

2. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    diarrhea makes me think coccidia (she's at the right age) and if her head is tilted upwards, her electrolytes may be all messed up and her thiamine is deficient. Does she have a temp? I'd get help ASAP, or start doing something - treat for coccidia, if you can get thiamine, give her a shot of it; if she's not eating or drinking, she may not be able to get enough electrolytes into her without tubing her.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Your friend needs to confirm she has coccidia before she gives thiamin. Giving thiamin and coccidia drugs at the same time counteracts each other. Cocci drugs are usually sulfa drugs or some other thiamin depleting drug. Cocci feed on thiamin so the idea of the cocci drugs is to deplete the thiamin long enough to starve the cocci.

Three months is about the right age for coccidia, what color is her diarreha?

4. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Though shes at the right age it doesnt seem like coccidia to me. But I havent had goats for long. Oh and the diarrhea is green.

She hasnt gotten a temp i dont think. Ill hve her do so next time she calls me.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Dark green or light green?

6. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I will have to ask... giving her a call now.

7. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    It could be an allergic reaction to something due to the swelling. maybe she ate something toxic. Could she have gotten into something she shouldn't have?

8. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I asked that... she said the chicken feed is all she can think of..

But we do have scorpions out here, as well as trantulas

9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    If you think it might be an allergic reaction to a bite... you may want to give her some benadryl. I had a doe that got stung numerously by bees and she swelled up like that so we gave her benadryl and it really helped her and quickly reduced the swelling.

I can't be positive this is what it is but it is worth a try.

10. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

Thats what I said too.

She said the poo is dark green.

11. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    well then dark green usually doesn't mean coccidia - and I have no idea about scorpion or other insect bites; but eating chicken feed isn't going to be helpful for a 3 month old goat; maybe a good dose of kaopectate until she gets some help? It's just so hard to help each other over the internet when we can't see the goat and what else is happening....

12. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

Yeah I told her she needed to change that too.

I know what you mean about hard trying to help over the net. Maybe I can get her to get pictures but not sure that would help either. Im gonna head over there tomorrow if I can to look at the goat too.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    could it be some sort of worm other than cocci?

if her neck/jaw is swollen?

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with SDK...could it be.....bottle jaw?......how is her gum/eye color ?

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the kid i lost had really bad dark poo that i couldn't fix with kaopectate or cocci meds.. but double dose of safeguard every other day helped him alot.. but i just couldn't keep him going

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    options of what it could be

alergic reaction
    coccidia
    bottlejaw/which is barber pole worm
    worms of another sort
    chicken feed (yes it can cause diarreah)

one GOOD way to find out or rule out what it is/could be would be to get a fecal done. Any dog or cat vet can do this. Take in a sample (clean if possible) of her poo. Tell them you need it run for cocci and worms. Other then that it is a stab in the dark.

17. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    How much benadryl should she give her? About 25 lbs the goat is.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Whatever the child's dosage on the bottle is