Sick goat?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CodyMyGoat, Dec 30, 2009.

1. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    Our goat,Snowy, is being picky with eating. Wont eat grain, doesn't really want treats, No real temperature (103 1/2 two nights in a row). The only thing she will eat is grass,and hay (She'll just nibble at hay). She's about 11 months old now. We've tried giving her berries, she ate a few and stopped.. Tried oatmeal, she didn't want it at all. Tried baking soda, didn't want anything to do with that...

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    103.anything is a temp and should be cause for concern.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If the temp has been the same and no change.... could be the normal temp for the goat....

She may have a tummy ache.... I would try to give her some probiotic paste for a few days and force some baking soda down her.... I take a little in your hand... open the mouth.... it is easier to have someone else open it for you.... and put it in her mouth. Then see if she is better in a day or so.... Stop the grain for a while ...I know you say she isn't eating any ...but if she does get her appetite back give it a couple of days...before you slowly introduce it again...

How is her gums and eye color?
    When did you last worm her?

If she does get any better ....maybe get a fecal doen for worns and cocci....

Is she bloated at all?

Keep an eye on her temp...if it goes any higher... .she may have pneumonia... then she must be started on antibiotics...

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you are in washington state where I assume the temps to be really cold there. SO a temperature above 102 in my experience is a fever. Now if the outside temp is like 80+ degrees a goats temp being 103 is quite normal. So it can be relative. In this instance though I would error on the side that she has a temp and needs a vets attention or some antibiotics.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When I take my goaties temps....even with very cold temperatures here in Northern California.. my goats run the same normal temps...wether it be cold or hot weather.....If there temps are higher then 103.5 ...even one line above....I take action.... Maybe it is because they are boers.....

6. Being that she is new to you and you to her, I might try a vet visit as well. Worst case you pay for a visit. Meanwhile you should check the eyes as that can be an issue. Also some Vit B12 and complex can't hurt that might give her some energy too. Just my thoughts, sounds like you have some good advise here. Let us know how things go.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well we dont know what this goats normal temp is -- it could be that 103.5 is not normal even if she is holding at 103.5 for two days. but yes it could be the goats normal temp.

what about the other goats in with this doe? what are their normal temps? that will help to determine if 103.5 is high or not for that group of goats.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Excellent question Stacey... that would be a great idea....... :thumb: :greengrin: :thumbup:

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you have any Nutri Drench, I would for sure get some in her, and yogurt if you have that. Make sure she is drinking. Give her some molasses water and see if she will drink it.

10. Ditto that, how is she?

11. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    She appears to be feeling better today, thanks everyone!