Sick goat!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 5andcounting, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I posted in the emergency topic! 1/2 boer 1/2 pygmy found her laying in the goatie house. She will stand for a few mins, no jerking no shaking, she is about 6 weeks preggers, no discharge. Hubby is working on getting a temp :help:

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm so sorry your goat is down.....hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will be on here soon!

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Take her temperature ASAP. Does she seem to be weak or just uncomfortable?

Does she look bloated? Offer her some baking soda or tums--if it does turn out to be bloat that will help...if not, it won't hurt her.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I meant to ask as well--does she seem to be off balance at all?

5. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    she just fell on her head. she is eating tho.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Hmm...That's not good...Have you managed to get a temp. yet??

7. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    her gums are pale purple. her temp is 93.6. What do I do

8. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Is anyone willing to text or talk to me on the phone I won't have internet in like 20 mins, when I leave work?

9. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    That temp is very low--was that a rectal temp?? If so, you need to try to warm her up quickly. blankets, hair dryer, heat lamp...whatever you have. You can give her some warm black coffee and/or a shot of whisky if you have it.

10. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Will your husband be home? I would put him on the forum if he will be home to tend to the goat. He should try getting ahold of a vet if he will be home.

11. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    hubby has her in the house in front of a heater, should I give her anything? If anyone will help me please call or text my cell this is my 4 yr old boys goat I don't want to lose her. I won't have internet in like 10 mins. 865-719-6819. He is at home with her and I am at work fixing to go to her! We don't have internet at home we live to far out.

12. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Contact a vet asap--only a vet will be able to make a sure diagnosis. In the mean time, try to warm her up. I wouldn't feed her anything because with a temp that low her rumen is not functioning...

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    FRF....Thank you so much for trying to help with this goat...I just didn't know what to tell them, with her being preggers......I am praying for this doe!

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I will text you this also in case you are gone. You need to get some hot coffee, whiskey and karo syrup. Take 3 cc of each, mix well and give her 2cc right away.
    Coffee needs to be warm and NOT decalf.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Taking her to the vet ....or to have a vet come to your place.....may save her life.....purple gums doesn't sound good....... the vet... can take immediate action... on how to treat her....get a sample of her stool ... She sounds really weak ....so time is of the essence...
    she may have a worm or cocci overload...... She has anemia.. and Her temp needs to come up... :hug: :pray:

16. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I texted her--goat is being taken to the vet. She will update later when they find out more.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thanks for the update... FunnyRiverFarm.....I am praying... that her doe will be OK.... :pray: :hug:

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I text ed her also, I had not heard back, but I am very glad the goat is on the way to the vet.