Sick goat :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Twisted Vines Farm, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Twisted Vines Farm

Twisted Vines Farm New Member

Jun 10, 2011
    A couple of days ago my FF doe got diarrhea, I figured it was just do to all the fresh, green grass she was eating (we just expanded their pen). But a few days later she still has it and did not want to eat her grain this morning. I did deworm her yesterday with safeguard. I haven't really seen her eating all day, except for a handful of grass and some leaves I offered her. I did see her drinking though. Is there anything else you would recommend doing? She was scheduled to go to her new home in a couple of days, but I don't want to send her if she isn't doing well by then. :(

2. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    Have you tried electrolytes and probios?

I'm sure a more experienced member will pop on here with better advice soon.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good call on the probiotics Amy.
    Does she have a temp?
    If you have B complex that will help, but cut all grain till she firms up, offer only hay for now.
    It sounds food related from the expanded pasture especially if shes not used to the green stuff.

4. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I'm no expert but I would give pepto to stop the runs. Drench with goat electrolyte mix.... And put probiotics in it.... Happybleats has a recipe for electrolyte mix somewhere.. Are you sure she didn't get into anything poisonous? If you find out she has CD antitoxin or charcoal will be needed... If you just recently wormed her it might be a delayed reaction. Both my girls came down a week later after ivermec last August.... same symptoms... so I did take away feed, have them animal pepto and drenched with goat electrolyte mix, put probiotics in the drench and they both got that for a day... I rubbed their sides just to get things going... By the next day the drank the mix on their own, and that evening offered a little grain and hay, and they ate:) Haven't had any problems since:)

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes..get her temp ..see what your dealing with
    c d antitoxin is needed...

here is the electro recipe

Homemade Electrolytes
    A half gallon of hot water
    2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
    1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
    1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
    Mix well

6. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    In addition to what has already been stated, I would suggest giving her straight grass hay if you can get it. Grass hay is really good at stopping digestive problems in any animal that eats hay.

7. mtmom75

mtmom75 New Member

May 19, 2011
    One of my doelings kept getting diarrhea this year. At first I thought it was from all the green grass (we've had an exceptionally green spring/early summer). I wormed her, gave her pepto, electrolytes, treated her for cocci, etc., and it still didn't go away. Then I read somewhere that grapefruit seed extract might help (it supposedly is a natural antibiotic/antimicrobial). I gave her one dose of pepto bismol with some GSE in it, and she was better by morning. I guess it might have just been a coincidence, but I was really happy that she got better. Good luck with your girl!