The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 9 week old Alpine male, who I got from lets just say not the best conditions for goats in my opinion, he has been coughing, has a yucky nose, and his eyes a a little crusty, was wondering if I should start him on Vetrx, or go straight to antibiots Temp yesterday was 104.9, and this morning it was 101.9

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i would keep track of his temp but he may need antibiotics. we went through pnuemonia this year. the weather has been so extreme that the little ones had a hard time. if his temp goes back up i would call the vet and get a shot of draxxin for him. it has worked wonders for ours with similar symptoms. you say his temp has gone down how about the rest of the respiration sympyoms?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I would go straight for the antibiotics. I had a 2 month old and a 4 month old that both had pneumonia. Every time I took their temp, It was in the normal range. I took them to the vet and he diagnosed the pneumonia and put them on Nuflor.

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
I agree...start antibiotics..Silent pneumonia will have fever spikes..then lows....Tylan 200 is a good OTC choice for this...1 cc per 25# every 12 hours for 5-7 days..be sure he is drinking plenty...here is a electrolyte recipe that seems to encourage more fluid intake...best wishes

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
Yes, its safe to use with antibiotics .

per manufacturer info
Can be safely used in conjunction with any prescribed veterinary medication.
Im sure that include OTC medication as well..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts