The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My animals going to be death of me. Our temps have been crazy. All my 2 leg kids are sick and now one of my goats. I took her to vet she has 105 temp and a cough. He said its a respiratory infection and gave her res gold. He said she should be up acting better this evening but she is not. Does anyone know what else I can do

·
14,615 Posts
What is Res Gold? How long are you to give it?
She most likely wont have a significant turn around for a few days.
Make sure she is eating & drinking.
If her temp spikes again she should get banamine.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
That is high...Tylan 200 is a better OTC counter choice..1 cc per 25#This needs to be done every 12 hours for 5-7 days...Antibiotics that are one shot for 7 days just do not work for goats IMO...their metabolism is much too fast....they need daily shots to be effective...again..offer electrolytes to keep them hydrated, baby aspirin as enchantedgoats suggested for fever if you dont have banamine..

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
The only antibiotic I can find with Gold in it is Nuflor Gold...which is a very good once a day antibiotic, and yes expensive..at about $100 a vile..If this is what he gave her he should have included daily shots for 5 days..
I have not heard of Res Gold..is there any more info you have on this? it should be safe to begin tylan 200 in 24 hours...but I sure would like to know what the other meds are first.

its great her temp is down and she is eating some..

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Its actually called Resflor Gold, which is what you suspected, a nuflor product.

Description

RESFLOR GOLD® is an injectable solution of the synthetic antibiotic florfenicol and the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) flunixin. Each milliliter of sterile RESFLOR GOLD® contains 300 mg florfenicol, 16.5 mg flunixin as flunixin meglumine, 300 mg 2-pyrrolidone, 35 mg malic acid, and triacetin qs. Resflor Gold Indications

RESFLOR GOLD® is indicated for treatment of bovine respiratory disease (BRD) associated with Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, Histophilus somni, and Mycoplasma bovis, and control of BRD-associated pyrexia in beef and non-lactating dairy cattle. Resflor Gold Dosage And Administration

RESFLOR GOLD® should be administered once by subcutaneous injection at a dose rate of 40 mg florfenicol/kg body weight and 2.2 mg flunixin/kg body weight (6 mL/100 lb). Do not administer more than 10 mL at each site. The injection should be given only in the neck. Injection sites other than the neck have not been evaluated. For the 500mL vial, do not puncture the stopper more than 10 times.

But as you can see this is designed for bovines and as we all know, dosing a goat is much different. Am looking to see if there is any info on how it should be giving to a goat.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
thanks TDG :D so its a combo drug... I hate combo drugs lol...
Nuflor can be given daily for as long as needed..usually 5-7 days while flunixin which is the same as Banamine can be given daily for 3 days safely!! UGH

With that I would would say Tylan 200 tomorrow should be safe..1 cc per 25#, sub Q...If you like what resflor gold does for her...you can get Nuflor and give it for 5 days..might be a bit cheaper than the resflor..

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
BUT i still cant find any dosing for goats
its off label im sure...

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
wow..!!! Nuflor is 3 cc per 100#...

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
It can take some time for her feel herself again...Daily B complex is wonderful support and will help boost her energy and appetite
IMO...the resflor one time will not be enough...with goat metabolism they will push that medication out of their system faster than other animals.. when I use Nuflor it is once a day for 5-7 days..
I would begin the Tylan 200 tomorrow...keeping her hydrated is important..Probiotics after antibiotic treatment is important..you can do this 3-4 hours after each dose (which is how I prefer) or wait until you are all done and give it for 3-4 days to restore good bacteria in her gut.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I'm in the barn and can't double check lol but it sounds right

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I would do a full five days, even when they begin to feel better you should still complete the full round...like us..when our dr gives us antibiotics we are instructed to finish our meds...:D

glad she is beginning to feel better

1 - 20 of 27 Posts