The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a goat he is 7 months old...started to get sick and weak so i wormed him and changed his feed. his gums are white and he . is . acting like he is dehydrated but he is drinking and eating can anyone help???

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I know you mentioned you wormed him, what did you use and dosage?
I highly recommend getting a fecal done for worms and cocci, also check for lice.

After you figure out what it is, treat the goat accordingly and give red cell to rebuild blood.

Have you seen him pee?

What is his temp?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There white hee is saneen i wish i knew what is wrong because he can barley talk and get up..afraid I'm losing him...his poop is clumpy but other then that it's fine

·
Super Moderator
58,860 Posts
What exactly did you worm him with and how much?

Sounds like he needs C&D Antitoxin or Milk of Magnesia (15cc per 60 lbs).

I would also give him Probios and a B complex shot.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
I agree with karen I would also treat that anemia..white lids is dangerous!..This is emergency and needs to be done ASAP

Red Cell is 6 cc per 100# I double day one then dose once a day for a week then once a week until he has good color or daily Iron shots
Vit B 12 shot daily (or B complex PLUS, whch has enough 12 in it)
green leaves high protien feed and alfalfa all hlep in rebuilding red blood cells
Also mix 50/50 of apple cider vinegar and water and drench him 20 cc daily...this too will help with anemia..

here is a good electrolyte recipe to keep him hydrated..best wishes
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for the help i really appreciate the info i want to keep learning more about goats but unfortunately he passed away yesterday=( i couldn't believe it....is it possible that a mushroom caused this???

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
poison oak and ivy are safe...they wont usually touch mushrooms...If he was wormy and anemic that can bring him down fast. I'm so sorry you lost him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay and thank you it sucks that i had to replace him so soon but my female was going so crazy

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
I would check your doe for worms as well...any vet can do a fecal...: )

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been around others animals all my life, but goats only the last year. It's unreal how fast a goat can go from looking fine to dieing. :(
Sorry to hear he didn't make it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts