Sick goat?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PznIvyFarm, Nov 23, 2013.

1. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    One of my does was acting odd yesterday morning.When i enter their pen in the morning they always get up and one did not. I milked everyone and checked her over but didn't see anything obvious. She picked at the grain and was eating hay so I thought I was just overreacting. Last night she was still 'off' and I took her temp - 105 - still did not see anything obvious. I decided to follow my gut and gave her some Vitamin B gel (5 ml) and a shot of Penicillin. This morning she is still not acting right, she isn't really eating, just stands kind of hunched over or is laying down. No runny nose, no coughing, no clumpy poo, nothing that I can see. Any ideas WHAT might be wrong?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    What is her temp now?
    She needs something stronger than penicillin, maybe Nuflor or Biomycin, Thiamine if you have it, banamine to help bring down fever.

3. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    105. I did some research and found an article on pneumonia in goats

(http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pneumonia06.html)

sounds like a possibility and either way I need to treat for the symptom she has - the high fever - but i noticed that every time i checked on her today she was standing which made me think maybe the pneumonia thing might be a possibility. I gave her a baby aspirin, more penicillin, some probios, Children's Mucinex, and lamb/kid omega 3 which i've used before when they haven't been eating much. About an hour later she was walking around and eating hay.

I don't have banamine, my vet is stingy with it and he is out of town anyway. I do have B-Complex but didn't want to turn her into a pincushion just yet.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you are doing well..while penicillin is not ideal for pneumonia it is better than no antibioitc at all...it may take a bit longer to see her 100%...be sure to give it 2 timess a day for 10 days...this is 1 cc per 20#.SUB Q...
    I would be giving the b complex once daily...keep watch on the temp..keep her hydrated...
    Be sure to give probiotics when treatment is complete to help restore flora...I like to give it a few hours after each shot of antibioitcs just to keep things going..

Homemade Electrolytes
    A half gallon of hot water
    2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
    1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
    1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

5. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you so much.

Is LA-200 better than Pen?

6. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    According to their website, TSC carries Tylan-200, would that be better?

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Tylan 200 is better then both LA 200 and Pen for pneumonia IMO....its 1 cc per 25# every 12 hours Sub Q...: )

8. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Unfortunately the actual store near me didn't have it, i will be near another TSC today so i can check.

She now has runny poop (since yesterday) I am continuing to give her pen twice a day, mucinex twice daily, aspirin 3 times a day, Vit B gel once a day, probios once a day, and every time i go out to visit I give her two syringes of the electrolyte solution (have never tubed a goat before, and it sounded scary when i read about it so i'd rather give fluids more often by mouth.) Finding as much greenery as I can to tempt her to eat something. She has a heat lamp in her pen and her temp is dropping - slowly - she was down to 102.6 this morning.

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    with her temp being with in normal range, I would stop the aspirin
    I would also switch from the B gel to injectable..it works better and will help increase her desire to eat...
    Give pepto for the runs, no grain until she is dry...Keep hay/alfalfa in front of her at all times along with the electrolyte and plain water..

if her poop is dark brown to black could be worms, greenish tint could be dietary...it could also be from the meds...If they are super watery I would be giving cd antitoxin every 6 hours until they begin to thicken up and she is back to eating normal..

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Update: She is still doing okay. I discontinued the aspirin and mucinex Thursday, Friday morning she was 'blah' again and her temp was up a degree. So we are back on the aspirin and mucinex twice a day, Tylan twice a day, Vit B Complex (shot) once a day, probiotics once a day, making sure she's eating, giving her a couple syringes of electrolyte solution every now and then b/c i don't think she's drinking enough. I have kept the heat lamp on b/c she seems to like it. I checked her all over again to see if I could find any other source of infection b/c I don't know why her temp was up again. The antibiotics should be kicking in. She is eating hay, her eyes are alert, she looks fine today. I just don't get it, but since she is no worse I will just continue the nursing care and see how things go.

12. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Just wanted to let everyone know she has made a complete recovery :)

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is great.

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    That is good news : )