Sick Goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by The-Goat-Posse, Dec 2, 2016.

1. The-Goat-Posse

The-Goat-Posse Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Hello! One of my does has been acting a little strange. For the past few days, she's been laying down all the time (which is not normal for her, she's the herd queen and is in literally everyone's business.) Her daughter seems to know something is up, she's been cuddling with her, trying to boost morale I suppose. She's been seeming really sluggish and her temperature was 101.2, which concerned me. She may possibly be pregnant, considering the fact that she used to run around with some bucks before I bought her (a few months ago.) Does anyone have suggestions for what could be going on with her? I'm just at loss for what could be wrong.

(By the way, she's been dewormed and has had a CD&T shot. Pooping normally. Not sure of her age.)

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Im sorry shes not feeling good. Temp is a tad low...i would suspect rumen issues...is she gassing..burping.chewing a cud?..any teeth grinding? I wpuld give a b complex shot...some probiotics and a dose of GI soother.....no grain for now...hay alfalfa and natural browse foods...leaves..pine..cedar...bunes..ect...
    GI soother: 1 teaspoon each...Cayenne pepper..ginger..cinnamon..acv and molasses in enough water to make 20-30 cc and drench...

What was she wormed with and how much?..how was it given?..check her lower inner lids for color..you want to see deep pink to red...pale lids indicate anemia which will need to be addressed

3. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    If she was running with bucks a few months ago, it's quite likely she's pregnant and very possible that she's imminently due. This could be the reason for her recent lethargy. If her daughter is still nursing on her you'd have a hard time noticing udder changes. Is she still eating well?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. The-Goat-Posse

The-Goat-Posse Member

Aug 29, 2016
    happybleats, she has been chewing cud, no gassing or teeth grinding that I've noticed. She was wormed with horse Ivomectin for 225 lbs since you have to triple the dose when given to goats (so I've been told.) It was given orally and her eyelids are dark pink. Thank you very much for your suggestions, I'll have to run to Tractor Supply to get what you've suggested.

Damfino, her daughter is about a year old and weaned, so no nursing but also no udder changes, which is why I'm not sure about her being pregnant. She's completely dried up. She's eating great, she just seems so tired

Thank you both so much for your fast replies, it really means a lot

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would work in her rumen as suggested...sounds like worms are under control

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. The-Goat-Posse

The-Goat-Posse Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Hey guys, just wanted to let all of you know that she's doing better! I think it was the rumen all along. Still kinda hoping she's pregnant though, goat kids are just too darn cute

9. Oreosmom

Oreosmom mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Glad to hear she's better..

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010