Sick goat?!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by YasmineMay, May 30, 2018.

1. YasmineMay

YasmineMay New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Hi all,
    My pygmy goat Arthur seems quite ill. Usually I'll go into his pen and he'll butt me or run a little but he's being quite lethargic. I took his temperature and he's about 38.4 to 38.9. He has diarrhea and is not eating at all. His gums are more pale than usual. Recently weve had torrential rain then heat wave for a few days. He showed these symptoms yesterday evening when he wouldnt eat or play. I put a scoop of goat feed in their bowl as usual but hes not touched it. He hasn't even nibbled his hay. Is calling the vet the only option to cure him? Or will he be able to clear up with some garlic or something? I've heard about baking soda and garlic - could I use these to cure my goat? Also, I didnt get any hay last week as my local stores are having a hay crisis so the hay was really dodgy. I let them garze on next door's long grass and brambles and forage of their choice (its just an overgrown garden). I brought some hay though on Saturday and the hay quality is not great - it seems a bit darker and a little dirtier.
    Sorry but this is the first time my goat has come down with something other than a cold :/

2. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    You need to get some help in finding out what has caused the diarrhea. So at least take a stool sample in to a vet to check for worms. I would start giving B complex as soon as possible and get some probiotics into him.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The temperature seems fine but the diarrhea and pale membranes sounds like he may have parasites or coccidia. I would call and ask the vet if you can bring a fecal sample in for analysis. Garlic isn't going to cut it here.

4. shoafplantation

shoafplantation Member

May 18, 2018
    Lexington NC
    Address the diarrhea! ! Vet trip to find out what parasitic load he has.
    Diet change needs to be gradual. Change equals stress, stress invites illness.

5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    that temp seems low to me. 38.4 = apx 100.4 Fahrenheit. please correct me if i'm wrong.

6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    sorry I meant apx 101-102 Fahrenheit. Temp is low. get fecal ASAP

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a fecal for worms and cocci right away.

8. YasmineMay

YasmineMay New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Thanks for the replies. I'm arranging to have a fecal done.

Update: he seems a little perkier and is nibbling now on hay and few leaves. His feces are now solid lumps instead of 'berries'. Arthur is still not himself though. He is being dewormed in a few days but still having the fecal done.

Thanks everyone for advice, its been a real wake up call to how quickly a goat can become ill due to my lack of experience :oops: to the best of my ability I have been trying to read up on preventatives and nutrition since ive got my goats but I'm learning new things all the time and its been great to have friendly advice for newbies like me!
    Will keep you updated :)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad things are better and we are here for you and your goaties. ;)

There is a lot to learn about goats.

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I wouldn't give him wormer medication until the results of your fecal come back. Not all wormers treat all parasites or worms - if he does have something, you want to be able to target what to give him. If he is negative, you don't want to build resistance by worming unnecessarily.