The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning to a very sick looking goat. He has a wet cough, one eye that has puss in it, and he's grinding his teeth. He was also lying down when I went in to feed the girls their grain, and that is not normal. He did poop some while I was observing him and although they were firm looking, they were very small pellets.
This little guy is a two year old Nigerian Dwarf-Pygmy cross (maybe 30lbs) wether.
He has had a slight cough for a couple weeks or so, but no fever no other symptoms. I had just given him a probiotic about a week or so, and just started giving garlic daily. He had gotten into the chicken pen a couple days ago and ate some feed. I gave him a (I think it's called) "power punch" drench and then some activated charcoal.
I'm a newbie. I'm freaking out right now. My first reaction was to bring him right in the house and call the vet. But he does NOT want to be in the house. And the vet is not open until 9:00am.
So here I am. Please help!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would definitely recommend using HerBiotic and Better Daze from Fir Meadows, but I know that’s not exactly convenient since you have to order it and you need something right away. But it’s still good to have them on hand.
Have you taken his temp?
His eye might have an infection since there’s puss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His FAMACHA was good and his temp was 101.9.
The vet diagnosed him with pneumonia and she thinks he might have lungworm. So he had a long lasting antibiotic shot, a dose of probiotics, and he'll get dewormer (Safeguard) for 3 consecutive days.
He's stable but he's not very happy with me! Too much poking and prodding.
I'll keep him on garlic too, and let you know how we make out in a few days.
Thank you!!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
Safeguard is not a effective dewormer. ..I would give him Ivomectin to address the lung worm.

What long acting antibiotic did he get?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts