The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, one of my goatie girls has had diarrhea for about a week and a half now. I first tried pepto (thinking maybe she ate something she shouldn't have) and it didn't help, so I went to tractor supply and got neomycin...been giving her that for like 4 days (thinking maybe it was bacterial) and it has done nothing. She still has it. I was recommended to try a yogurt/probiotic mix in a syringe. We don't really have a farm vet local, so this info is from others who I know that have been raising goats for years. She is starting to lose a little weight as well. I could make her some electrolyte mixture, but still...just need a cure for this diarrhea!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
how old is the goat? what colour is the diarrhea? have you taken a temp? is she utd on worming?

it sounds like it could be cocci or worms, but you should really take a fecal sample to get it tested to see what's going on. any vet can do the test, doesn't have to be a goat vet.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is about 6 months old, I have not taken a temp, the color is brown (not green or anything) and I could def. take a sample to our local vet...She was wormed in April

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told to pull her grain, so we have (she is just eating brush/hay). My other 3 goats are eating from the same pasture and no problems with the other 3. Only the 1 has it..

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heading to the local vet now... he also believes that it may also be cocci (he's going to check a sample and give me some meds for her). This has been rough for my girl :-( She is young, only about 5 months. Thanks for your quick response!

·
Registered
868 Posts
What did he say? I like the gelling electrolytes that smell like coconut, it seems to help when they don't feel well.. And they drink them like it's candy lol

·
Registered
617 Posts
Corid will treat it but many goat people prefer not to use it,it depletes thiamine levels and can lead to other serious issues ,I think you will need to give thiamine or b12shots just to be safe while using the corid

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Corid is a thiamine inhibitor, which can cause Goat polio, I would keep Thiamine on hand, whichis RX, or FOrtified B complex in a pinch...if you see your goat begin to act off..begin treatment...here is a bit of info on Goat polio, ...personally I would toss the corid and find either Sulmet or Dimethox...:thumbup:

Causes of thiamine deficiency include feeding moldy hay or grain, using amprollium which is a thiamine inhibitor (brand name CoRid) when treating coccodiosis, feeding molasses-based grains which are prone to mold (horse & mule feeds), eating some species of ferns, sudden changes in diet, the dietary stress of weaning, and reactions to the de-wormers thiabendazole and levamisole. Each of these conditions can suppress Vitamin B1 production. The usage of antibiotics destroys flora in the rumen and can cause thiamine deficiency. It is important to repopulate the gut with live bacteria after using antibiotics or diarrhea (scour) medications.
Symptoms of Polioencephalomalacia can be any combination of or all of the following: excitability, "stargazing," uncoordinated staggering and/or weaving (ataxia), circling, diarrhea, muscle tremors, and blindness. Initial symptoms can look like Entertoxemia (overeating disease). There is a component of "overeating" involved in that the rumen flora has been compromised. As the disease progresses, convulsions and high fever occur, and if untreated, the goat generally dies within 24-72 hours.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Corid is not the preferred one to use but it is fine. Usually you don't have to worry about the thiamine but it is always good to have B Complex or Thiamine on hand. Since that is what the vet gave you, I would use it. But you may want to get something like Sulmet or DiMethox for in the future.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A friend of mine who raises goats also mentioned about giving B12. Do I have to get it at the vet or tractor supply?? It's a shot, right??

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
B12 wont hurt but what will be needed is Thiamine..B 1.."Fortified B complex" will work as a support..it has thiamine and "B complex plus" has B 12....tractor supply should carry them..Thiamime is from RX I beleive B12 is as well...

http://goat-link.com/content/view/172/#.Uc8idT6DTL8

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I came across this: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/coccidiosis.htm

Thanks for the info.. we will head to tractor supply tomorrow afternoon. She is doing OK, still has diarrhea but is eating and drinking well (was out munching on leaves with the others pretty much all day) and had a feast of fresh hay today when I cleaned their area.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My goat girl "Biscotti" (on the right) is doing much better after a nasty case of what seemed to be bacterial scours. A local horse vet made a house call and brought me some antibiotics for her (and she is doing MUCH better!!) So relieved! Will definitely start her on some probiotics after treatment...

Attachments

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Great news : ) very pretty goats!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts