Sick goats! :( Sugar is still not feeling good

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Jul 21, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Blah I have two sicks goats!

First one is Maxinne the new doe. She has a runny nose and running eyes. I already started her on Pen. Otherwise she seems fine. Eating, drinking, ect. Temp was around 103.

The other sick one is Sugar. She has the runs and its really really smelly. I started her on Sulmet just in case of Cocci. Her temp is ok but she is standing kinda hunched up and she has her fur puffed out. She is being fed the grain for Cocci prevention. She is picking at hay, but not her usual happy self. She was fine this morning, so she has me worried. I wonder if she got too much milk? I had the boys separated for about 6 hours the other day and she got to stay on mom. Plus she has finally figured out the bottle and got a bunch of milk from that the past two days. Do you think that could be it? Or should I start her on biomycin if she isn't better in the morning? or Pen. Sorry but Sugar is my baby and I don't want her dieing on me or something. Oh and her temp was around 101. I would have given pepto for the runs, but I didn't want it buffering the sulmet or somthing.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Sick goats! :(

you can give the pepto with the sulmet.

She could have gotten to much milk.

did you give the new girl some nurti drench?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Ooops, no I didn't. Been way to stressed today to think right.
    :GAAH:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

hehe thats how I get when upset about them being sick.

I would give them both some nutri drench and even some vetrx in the nose for those with the dischage.

What color is the discharge? if it is just clear then it is only a cold. Of course you watch it to be sure it doesnt develope into anything but antibiotics dont do a thing for colds.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

Did you read Chelsey's post about her bout with Entero? Hope your girls are OK. :worried:

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

I had a 4 month old wether that was similar to your doeling with discharge.....I gave my boy some Oxytet, benadryl, nutri drench, vitamin b complex, and vet rx (all in small amounts) and drench him with water. I noticed that he was acting off and not eating...he had a runny nose and coughing. I would drench your doeling that isnt really eating with pepto, as Stacey has suggested.

Hope some of this helps.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Maxinne seems a lot better today. Hardly any drainage from her eyes and nose. I gave her some vet rx and nutri drench.

Sugar seems to be a little better. Still not herself. I gave her b-complex, nutridrench, and vet rx. Since her nose was a bit runny! arg!

8. foot

foot New Member

Jul 17, 2008

..Just our thoughts...Less is best sometimes. For upset tummies, I always offer baking soda first...you'll be surprised how quickly they turn to it on their own and you should see improvement the next day. Any change in diet (more of this less of that ) will quickly upset a goats digestive system. Fresh water, hay and baking soda shoud do the trick and at least let you know if it is something more serious that just an upset.

...foot..

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Sugar still isn't doing that great. Her temp was 103 tonight. Eating, ok. Mostly standing around with her hair all poofed out. I gave her baking soda later today along with nutri drench and probios. She just seemed so unhappy. I also gave her a bit of banamine but that doesn't seem to have helped any. She still has mushy poos but not really bad runs. She had her first cdt shot 2 1/2 weeks ago now. Could it be entero? I ordered the antitoxin just in case since I didn't have any. It should be in tomorrow. I am keeping her on the sulmet. Should I start her on Biomycin if she isn't any better tomorrow? Can I give her biomycin with Sulmet? These goats love to make me sweat!

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry she's not up to par yet, as far as the antibiotic, the little doeling I was treating for cocci was on amoxicillian and albon per the vet so it shouldn't hurt Sugar, just make sure to give the probias as the antibiotic can cause issues with their tummies. Hope she's back to herself soon and you can stop worrying (for now)

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, I am going to call my vet tomorrow if she isn't better, but I don't always trust them. :sigh: So I wanted to get your opinions on what could be wrong with her.

Liz: How long did it take for your girl with cocci to start showing signs of improvement?

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, it was 2 days after I noticed her having runs and looking fluffed and bloaty that I took her and her poo to the vet..she was on the albon and the antibiotic for a fever for 3 days before she looked a bit better but wasn't back to herself until 2 days after her last dose of the albon, then I was giving her B complex to help with her appetite. So being as long winded as I am I'd say it was 7-10 days after the treatment that she was back to normal, and she wasn't making berries until the 8th day , it was dog poo looking after she was started on the albon.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks Liz!

Anyone else have any ideas on what it could be? :shrug:

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    does the poop smell?

Can you try another vet to get a fecal done?

I hate for you to keep pushing meds if that isn't the problem.

Was she wormed recently? what do her eyelids look like?

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes the poo smells nasty, thats why I started her on the sulmet.

Eye lids look ok. She is about 6 weeks old so I haven't wormed her. Her mom was wormed right after kidding and then a week after that. So I figured she got the wormer from her moms milk?

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my six week kids got worms bad after the cocci. I hadt wormed moms so that could have been a factor.

How is she this morning?

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She is ok today, still not herself. I gave her more nutri drench and baking soda. I also gave her the entero antitoxin just in case.

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Temp was still normal tonight. Poo is looking better. She is still all puffed up and not like herself. I put some nutri drench in her bottle along with yogurt and a little slippery elm to try and help sooth her tummy. I figure that must be what is bothering her. but I don't really know. :shrug:

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I had a doe do this too, check her eyelids and listen to her breathing - could be starting pneumonia. Hope she feels better soon.

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Since I am giving her a round of sulmet and thats an antibiotic do you think that will help? Or should I go ahead and give Biomycin or Pen? Or should I get my vet involved if she gets any worse and get a better antibiotic?