Sick goats treated but still sick.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ivy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    I have 3 new goats in quarantine.

The have running noses, white and yellow snot, and a definite gurgle when they breath, mostly in the nose but some sound in the chest.

These goats are far from my herd. We have strict rules for animals in quarantine.

Ok, I gave them all B-complex shots, VitE and 3 rounds of LA200, 36 hours apart.
    They got better but not over this.

To find out if its contagious I put 2 culls in with them.
    Yes its contagious. The culls picked up the symptoms within one week after being in the pen.
    One cull had one shot of LA after symptoms appeared. She is good now but with a lingering running nose, clear snot.
    The other cull had to have 2 shots since that goat got real bad fast. He is better now but still gurgles to much.

I am wondering if I should go now, since its been a week since the LA, with PenG or if this may be viral and basic nursing, B complex, extra TLC is a better route.

The only time I have seen LA fail for respiratory probs was when I got hit last year with a goat cold virus that ran its course through the herd and after all was fine.
    This respiratory thing seems rougher than a cold virus.

Most of the remaining symptoms are white snot, gurgling sounds through noses and a little in the upper chest.

I hate the thought of running a series of PenG if its a virus.
    I was thinking of waiting longer since no one is getting worse and at times they all seem ok, acts up mostly at night, kinda like people and flu bug season. LOL

Any 2 cents?

2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I think you need to try something stronger like naxcel or nuflor(sp). Also have you treated for lung worms? Do any of them have temp? Are they eating well? The longer a respirator infect go on the stronger meds need. Shelly

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Would this be a pneumonia of sorts? Maybe instead of PenG wait a week, since no one is worse and try another type of antibiotic.... :shrug: Sorry I can't be of much help. :cry:

4. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    They had temps when this first hit. But nobody has temps now.

Not lungworms, one they were treated just incase (I have delt with lungworms in the psat) and they are all pink and eating and pooing fine too.

This is also a fast mover. Those culled goats were sick within a week and it was helthy to very sick overnight when it hit them.

Where do you get the other meds from? I hope not a vet because the only one around here that does livestock is totally useless for goats. Heck when I had my lungworm issues a few years ago that quack vet tried to get rid of it with safeguard!! Totally useless vet.

5. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Yes you have to get them from a Vet. My vet will give me naxcel with coming out. Or you can see if you can order from here one of the other member post this site. http://www.vetserv-usa.com/
    Shelly

6. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    I dont have a vet outlet, so thats a no go.
    But meanwhile the goats are getting better on their own.
    Only 2 have a little of a clear running nose now and the rest are fine.

So, hopefully it is just another goaty virus that just needs to run its course.