Sick horse..... I think?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by RunAround, May 1, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok so I am not really sure if my moms horse is sick or not. He has a temp of 102.7. He is eating, but not with as much enthusiasm as usual. He is also drinking ok. I did pull a huge tick off of him. He got some tick disease last year that begins with a E. I can't remember what it was called. So I was wondering if it could be that again. I hesitate to call the vet because the only real issue is he has a low fever. He might just laugh at me for worrying over nothing. So, what do you guys think. Should I call him or not? Should I wait an see if his temp goes up or down first? :shrug:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    No, If you pulled a tick off him again, you need to tell the vet. He might just have you come get the meds that he will need. Call the vet that dealt with this last year so he will know what is going on.
    A low temp can be as bad as a high. Low can mean that things are shutting down.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Erlichia-? There are a lot of versions of tick born illnesses that cause fevers and general illnesses. Rocky Mountain Fever is one- I can't think of others right now but every location has a couple of varieties of this infect..
    I would call the vet like sweetgoats said- he will tell you if the horse needs to be seen or what you can do to nurse him a bit before the vet has to come out.
    In 45 years of taking care of horses , I can only remember 2 or 3 times my horses had a fever. None have been a real serious illness ( luckily for me) but I always treat it seriously especially if it would be a repeat.
    You can give him things to bring the temperature down but I wouldn't do this unless I was sure what I was treating - I don't want have meds confuse the issue with symptoms that are showing.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah that was it. I called the vet, not the one who treated him last year because that was an emergency visit and he was the wicked $$$$ one. Anyways, I gave this vet the history on him and he said to put him Oxytetracycline. I gave it to him last night. His temp was down last night but now it is back to 102 again. :scratch: