The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all :)
Short version-
I have a kid who acted 100% fine right after being born, at two days old stopped eating and got really bloated, then after treating her etc she started eating again and now acts mostly normal. But she is now about ten days old and still very bloated and does not seem to be gaining weight like the other kids (who are only two days older). She has one front foot that a couple days ago I noticed she walks crooked on, her ankle bows to the outside. She does not act in pain or ill, but is not as vigorous as the others.

More details-
She was the second kid born, it was a rather traumatic birth as both were trying to come out at the same time and I had to push the second back, and the first was hanging with its head out for a while. Both survived the birth of but we lost the first one a couple days later just due to weakness and cold as far as I’m able to tell. The couple days this one was sick we kept it inside at night so it’d be warm, limiting when it could nurse, and gave it pedialyte and pepto bismol. It perked up a lot after the first night of pedialyte and went straight out to nurse, so I thought it was dehydrated. Nursing seemed to make it more lethargic those couple days though. I have seen small amounts of normal pellety poop on it’s butt, but have not actually seen it poop, and it seems to stretch and strain more than normal. It does pee normal. It’s belly is very round with a distinct separate bump on its right side. The only thing it got other than milk before it went down hill was a dose of selenium and vitamin e gel, which I’ve always given my kids with no problems.
I had a goat once born without a rectum, and this ones mom is not great genetically, as her father and grandfather are the same buck. This kids father is totally separate though. I’m wondering if there’s a way to tell if organs are out of place, or if it sounds like an illness to y’all? I’ve never had a kid act normal and then get sick at two days old like that, or one that looked like this.
I’ll add a comment with pictures, and more details if I think of any. Thank you in advance for any thoughts and answers :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just checked, no cleft palate
The belly feels firm like a balloon not squishy like full of milk, as far as I can tell.
The mom’s milk is fine, no clumps etc
I haven’t checked her temp
I haven’t seen her eat in the last couple days but my does often won’t nurse when I’m around so I didn’t think anything of it, since she’s not acting weak. I’ll try a bottle (she should be pretty open to it, she comes to me now after being inside for a couple days) to make sure.
And I’ll look up how to do an enema and giving her the other suggestions.
:)

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Get a 3 cc syringe( no syringe).

Put a drop of gentle soap in warm water. Stir

Put the tip slightly into the rectum, be gentle. It doesn’t have to be inserted far, just the tip.
Plunge it up there and repeat until the kid gets the urge to push and poo. I massage the flank and lower tummy area, a gentle squeeze of the lower tummy helps to dislodge the poo and helps them get it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t have a thermometer or am able to get one right now
I did the enema, thank you for writing the instructions. I did it several times around noon, massaged her belly for a while, watched her for a couple hours before having to go inside, she didn’t poop. Now (5:30) went out to feed and she had discharged some white stuff, there was a glob on her leg and some coming out. Honestly it looked like milk when it comes out of the teat clumpy, but how would it make it that far undigested? So I did the enema again to try to help it keep loosening. Hopefully that’s progress!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would say that if the baby is nearing two weeks old now and isn't down completely, then that is a positive and you are headed in the right direction. If its still in with momma, and strong enough to stand, maybe just keep a close eye on it. May just be how that baby is. I know sometimes I've had a kid that I though wasn't getting enough milk, or wasn't active enough, or was too skinny. My immediate instinct was to jump in and "help". Sometimes my "help" wasn't needed and in fact may have done more harm than good. That being said, do check temperature. If it's normal, no diarrhea, and she is strong enough to stand and nurse on her own, I would say back off and monitor her. Remember, momma's milk is best. It has everything baby needs. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That’s been our instinct as well- I was about to start bottle feeding it to make sure it ate and my husband stopped me and had me put the doe in the milk stand and help the baby eat to make sure it did instead, so that we didn’t break the bond. She did eat, or at least sucked strongly for a short time, completely by herself. And as I was watching for her to poop I saw her do it in the pen too, so the mom lets her and she is strong enough, but she didn’t eat very much, she stopped and went off to nibble hay like she didnt want it.
The umbilical looks normal to me, but I will take a picture today :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts