sick kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nhsmallfarmer, May 9, 2008.

1. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Ok, first of all I really feel like I should just give up on trying to raise goats, but then I love being with them :GAAH:
    ok now, many of you already know my (sad) back history, Lost Fern, then her daughter, now the other doeling is sick :cry: ,I found her yest. crying just like the other doeling did, she has a slight fever ( gave her apsrin (81 mg) for pain and fever) gave her Vitamin B complex to boost energy, gave her nutradrench, gave her enema, due to the fact she is separated and hasnt pooped all day and still have nothing from her. I did all I knew how and what to do I honestly thought she was a goner by this am but NO!
    she was laying like a frog when I found her, now her ears and top of her head r swollen, kinda like fluid build up, I will go out an get a picture.
    I have to wait for hubby to go get Pennicillian for her, cant buy needles in my state so I also have to find one of them :GAAH: gonna give her 1 cc of that.
    any other ideas?

2. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Re: sick kid PICTURES ADDED

here are some pictures and a video of Drama, anyone ever seen this before?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH, man. You sure need a break.

Ok, I know nothing about dehorning goats, but how long ago was this one dehorned? Could it be swelling for that? I have heard others say that they put ice packs on their head.
    Something I have always heard is put a warm wash cloth pretty wet against the butt to get them to poop. rub it also, like mom would lick it.

How old is this one now?

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    How old is she? Has she received vaccinations for tetanus? Can she open her mouth?(tetanus causes lockjaw and a stiffened gait) Has she had Bo-Se? If not, give her a dose of Bo-Se, and also dose her with thiamin(get it from the vet) every 6 hours. I'm not sure what the swollen ears would be from an infection maybe? Give her Milk of Magnesia and olive oil too for stomach upset. Give her baking soda as well, in case it is floppy kid syndrome.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did the swelling happen after you gave her b-complex?

6. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    YES the swelling happened after the vitamin B complex was givin, could it be an allergy? I havent givin her any yet today only asprine

could it be from the dehorning? i called the guy who did it, he has had goats forever and never heard of that happening from dehorning or even seen that happen.

Drama is 3 weeks of age.

she was dehorned this past Sunday (5/4)

she is up and walking around today, not quite as sluggish as yesterday. hangs her head, I imagine due to the swelling, I go out every hour or so an hold her in my lap with her head higher then her butt hoping that helps, I will try the ice pack if she will let me.
    she is also following her mom (brandy) around, haven't seen her try to nurse, an she refused the bottle this am. I will use a syringe and alteast get electrolytes into her.

Thanks everyone :pray: Drama pulls through (although I hate to sell her if she does make it :cry: I wanted to keep her

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. I would call the vet. They can give her some Solu-Delta-Cortef or another steroid to make her more comfortable.

I wouldn't give anymore b-complex or anything containing thiamine since that is what she most likely reacted to.

I will be :pray: for her.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That is pretty late to disbud, was the other doe kid that died done the same time? How long was the iron held on? I'm wondering if brain swelling is a possibility, since the kids were older and does have more fragile heads than bucks. In that case, she shoudl really be taken to a good vet(if you have one) and she is going to need some kind of steroid.

The swollen ears could be a reaction from the B complex.

9. my3kids

my3kids New Member

May 3, 2008
    :grouphug: Hi all, I am just jumping in here but exactly when should you disbud a kid? and can it be done later at all like after their horns are completely grown?--Michelle

10. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Re: sick kid, update

Drama, had a CDT shot today, a shot of penicillin, she is on benadryl and children's advil, she is still pretty swollen, although her ears seem to be just a bit less swollen on the tips. she wonders around aimlessly.
    :pray: :pray: she makes the night guess we are gonna take this one day at a time

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Bucks should generally be done before a week old, to prevent scurs, and does are done at 1 week old, or a little older. It can be done when they are adults, but it is a lot more stressful on the goat. Here is a link for dehorning, to show how it is alot more stressful on the goat and people, very graphic pictures just warning you: http://www.sandylanedairygoats.com/dehorning.htm

12. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    WOW them are some amazing (and gross) pictures

13. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    sadly Drama did not make it found her this am gone :cry:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my Michelle that is terrible I am so so sorry :hug: :tears:

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I am so sorry for your loss, its always to hard :hug:

16. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So sorry for your loss. :hug: .

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: I am so sorry you lost her, she's in a better place now where she's doing what a baby her age should be doing...playing and free of pain.

18. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That was such a shock- I don't know what went wrong- I'm so sorry you are going though this. I think goats are hard too. They are such loving creatures but, if they have a problem, it can take them so fast.