sick kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rockyspotfarm, Feb 21, 2009.

1. rockyspotfarm

rockyspotfarm New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I have raised goats for about 3 years, and we are having our first babies hit the ground the last few days. I have a set of twins born this past thursday night , they are small but from a large mother. One is fine, the other is weak, she can eay and use the potty, but all around is very lethargic. she is smaller that the other, i have tried coffee mollasses, and a few other things, but she seems to stay weak. She is very raspy in her lungs, and i have given her baytril. Also a funny thing, these twins have swollen puffy ears like they are filled with fluid, consitered a hematoma in a dog. Any help i would greatly appreciate!!! thanks

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    does her belly feel full? what is her temp?

swollen ears -- hmm thats a new one... not sure what to suggest as to the culprit.

what breed are we talking about here?

3. rockyspotfarm

rockyspotfarm New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    it is full after she nurses, then she is small again, temp around 101. she just brush goat, with a little milk goat mixed in. I cant find anything about swollen ears, they have gotten bigger the last 2 days, thanks for the reply

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did they have the swollen ears when they were born? Or after injecting them with something? The only reason I ask is because the swollen ears are a sign of an allergic reaction. It can be a sign of others things as well, but thats what comes to mind for me.

5. rockyspotfarm

rockyspotfarm New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    the swelling was soon after birth, they were born thursday night, and stayed in a barn stall that night, so the next morning i found them, one was weak and they were cold. i was thiking allergic reaction but i only gave a shot today, unless it is to the mothers milk?? if that is possible? i really want to save her! thanks

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she nursing on her own or do you have to hold mom to get her to nurse?

7. rockyspotfarm

rockyspotfarm New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    she is nursing on her own but only takes about 4 or 5 sucks then quits.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did you give any BoSe? That might help her a bit.

Let me look in my goat medicine book for you.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would get some selenium in her - BoSe is selenium like RunAround suggested

You can also in a pinch crush up some human selenium tablets and mix it with water, syringe that into her.

An easier way though is to get the BoSe shot from a vet or order some selenium vitamine E gel from a place like www.jefferslivestock.com

you can also check to see if your feed store carries some selenium supplements

10. rockyspotfarm

rockyspotfarm New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    she is much better this morning, nursing like a pig. the swelling has gone down a good bit! thank you everyone for your help!

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    Is it cold where you live? Usually when I see swollen ears on new babies, it's frostbite. I'm glad she's doing better. Some kids seem to take longer to get going than their siblings.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So glad that she seems to be doing better!!!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad the baby is doing better.... :greengrin:

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    its great the kids are doing better!

is there a difference between the selenium vit e injectable and bo-se?

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    bo-se is selenium.... ...I don't think there is a difference ....other than the added vit e ....has a extra kick....anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.... :wink:

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just a note on the swollen ears ... I dont know if these babies have floppy ears but -

With the boers that have floppy ears, sometimes the bottom tip of the ear is folded up at birth. You should rip the ear down once the kid is cleaned off, they will scream a little and you will most likely tear some skin and it will bleed a bit.

I have found if you dont tear the ears down, they can get infected and I have had the whole floppy external ear swell up. At this point if you tear down the fold you will get a lot of clear fluid come out.

Also, just a general note on swellings, lumps etc. I have always found it a good rule to insert a needle into the lump/swelling, draw back a little way on the syringe to see what exactly is in the lump. I had one kid that got the swollen ear because I wasnt home when she was born to rip down her ear. I ripped it down but it didnt drain very well. I pulled about 8 ml of fluid out of the ear with a syringe and needle and wiped it down with aseptol, and she was good as gold after that.