Sick kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CapraKoza, Jun 28, 2009.

1. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Not sure where to put this post...I have a 3 month old kid that just does not look good. He has no fever, normal appearing stools,no cough but is just standing off by himself, ears down, just looking bad. He has been running a little thin, and we did worm him 2 weeks ago w/ cydectin. It is dark now and I can't really get an accurate look at his eyelids in the barn light. I , thinking worms,and tomorrow absolutely need to check his stools, but I am wondering if anyone out there has any thought as to something I may have missed???? The rest of the boys are looking fine. Thanks!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Until you run the fecal, I would try a dose of probiotics and maybe some Nutri Drench.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I suspect cocci

I would treat him as Liz suggested until you can be sure in the morning. The extra boost that the nutri drench will give him would be real good

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yep, sounds like cocci to me. That's exactly how Ebony was, and she had cocci. And I also agree with what Stacey and Liz said.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto ...I agree to... :hug:

6. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I had given him last night probiotics and nutridrench, which did seem to perk him up. He was treated for cocci a couple weeks ago( we had such a wet spring here!!), but maybe he still didn't clear it. He looks "ok" this morning, but still not too active. :(
    THANKS for all your advice, and I will get a fecal on the little guy today.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Jill, Sometimes they can look ok, but not be at all.

I agree with everyone. I would guess Cocci. I know you said that he was treated for Cocci already but if it is wet and the right conditions, it might not of gotten all them and sometimes they need the treatment longer.

I do want to say good call. So many people do not really notice that there ears are down, and not just looking right.

8. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    What was the fecal result?

If cocci, I'd hit him with DiMethox 40% for 14 full days. Also, treat him with Panacur/Safe Guard three days in a row at the beginning of the treatment, again three days in a row 10 days into the treatment. (it is being used as an antiprotozoal with terrific results around here).

Also, I would give a booster of BoSe and consider a copper bolus to help with parasite resistance and give him B Complex daily until he's much improved.

*and no, when treating with DiMethox, it is NOT bad to dose with B Complex - this only applies to cocci treatment using amprollium, which is a thiamine inhibitor and attempts to kill the cocci in it's growth stage when it needs thiamine in which case you would need to use B12 injectable only*

Hope he's doing ok!

9. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Well, I brought fecal samples into the vet monday and didn't get a call back until Wednesday afternoon- ugh!! :scratch: , and believe me, I was bugging them! Can't blame them, i know they are over-worked, and I need to learn to do fecals myself.
    Anyway...alright I am very impressed with your thoughts girls...no worms, but COCCI!!! Last i treated for them, I also did a 21 day maintenance dose :0( , and we have been keeping pens impeccably clean, clean water, etc.( I always joke that we must have the cleanest pens in TN! :wink: ) What can I say? Cocci is like the devil!! So I am curious, Kate, about Di Methox, as I have been using a Corid drench. Maybe I do need to hit them with something different. Don;t have that here, but could get it tomorrow from my vet. Can you believe, before I moved here to TN, I NEVER had a cocci or worm problem with my herd. And now I have more pasture too, but definitely more "bugs" here in the south! You "guys" ( as we say in the north) are terrific, and it is such a blessing to have goat-buddies! THANKS!!

10. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Here we rotate between CoRid and DiMethox to prevent resistance.

What rate are you dosing it at (the Corid)?

Did your vet specify that the cocci count was above normal, or simply that they were present?

11. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Our vet stated that the level was a significant above-normal for him. I am using Corid drench recommended 3 oz corid/pint H2O, then of that mix I give 1 oz/100 # which comes to be 3 mL per 10 lb.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dose the corid straight and not mix it before drawling up the dosage.

I use 1cc per 4lbs and then once have it inthe syringe i add some flavoring to water and add that to the dosage - so it is watered down and flavored but i know the amount of corid they are getting

13. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Anyone here use medicated feed for prevention of coccidiosis? :? I never have in the past, as I generally just don't like putting things in them like that, but now I am rethinking this one.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I don't recommend doing it that way ....as it builds resistance ....... :hug:

15. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    You're wasting time and money with that Corid dosage. NEVER dilute it! Undiluted, the dose for Corid is 6.25cc per 25 pounds for 5 days minimum, and up to 14 days.

Yes, we feed medicated feed to all our stock except those whos milk we are consuming. You MUST in our climate. It WILL NOT lower your loads/counts, but it will hold them at what they currently are...so you cannot consider it a treatment - merely a preventative.

16. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    oh, yes, I was talking about the use of medicated feed as a preventative only. I love the moderate weather here in the south, but so do the parasites!!

As far as the Corid, I've been following the directions on the container as instructed by my vet. Oh I'd feel horrible if I was underdosing... :hammer: if that is the case, no wonder they have it again. I am using Corid 9.6% Oral Solution...then I am following the direction for "as a drench" They get 10 mg Amprolium/2.2#body weight. And i am sure my conversions are right.

Well, my hubby stopped by the vet and brought home what I think is DiMethox/Albon..it is labeled: SMZ tablet 960 mg, and the dose is one tab/20#. I have never crushed a tablet and put in H2O for dosing. Any suggestions? :? Also, doesn't sound very accurate to me when you have a 23#goat? and you need to try to approximate with a crushed tablet :veryangry: :angry: :hammer: ?

17. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

When I was using SMZ tabs for my cocci case in a kid- i used one pill per day, they disolve VERY easily in water
    and then just put in a syringe and drench them. Dont use too much water, just enough to dissolve the pill.

18. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yep, not gonna get it with that dose. Unfortunately, vets aren't always right, esp pertaining to goats.

Those SMZ tablets can treat up to something like 75 lbs...I would say at one tablet per 30 lbs for a good cocci bloom...so one tablet per day should be perfect. Please keep him on probiotics the entire time he's on the SMZ, as they are SUPER hard on the rumen.

19. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    My vet warned me that overdosing on Corid can cause polio-like sequela. But underdosing can kill them too- go figure! :angry:

Thanks for all that great advice guys!!! I am going to start w/ the SMZ tonight!

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will pray for the kid.... :pray: :hug: