sick kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Charrae, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    I'v got a buckling two and a half months old, utd on cd+t, no temp. Hes just got banded last week and de horned at a week old. The problem is hes falling down and not eating well. When hes eating he gets alfalfa and oat hay(free choice) and cocci prevention grain. He is peeing and pooping. any ideas? OH and i'v given him some pepto incase of an upset tummy. All the other kids in his pen are fine and healthy so i'v moved him by himself for now.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    check his banded area...see if he has an infection going on....anywhere...

3. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Also does it look swollen.. he may be uncomfortable... and in pain... it can make him not eat well :hug:

4. Well make sure that he still can near someone so he can not be real lonly. That can cause more troubles. Is he a bottle baby? What kind of minerals ect doe he have. I agree with Pam but also thing some Nutradrench will help give him a boost. Fast track past is good too.

5. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    I checked him earlier, no infection at all, it shouldnt be hurting him too bad as its just about to drop off(or so it looks). Hes been given nutradrench and has a bucket of water with bounce back. No worries, when I separated him I just put him on the other side of the cattle panel so he can see them but they cant trample him. When he was born he had some problems and he is a bit of a runt, but no ones picking on him more than usual. I do make sure he can eat enough, im at a loss...

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    take his temp, that way you can tell if he has a fever or infection

7. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    oops, thought i put that in there, hes only two degrees higher than his herd-mates

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    two degrees? what is the exact temp? normal temp is 101-103

faling down is not a good thing -- sounds like he is either very weak or having neurological issues.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree.... what was the actual temp? :hug:

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you have any injectable thiamin or can you get some from your vet? or do you have fortified B complex? it wouldn't hurt to treat for polio, 4.5 mg of thiamin per pound of body weight....

11. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    Ok, hes on B complex right now. His temp is 103.4 compared to his herdmates temps which were around 102. He has the runs now, but hes still eating and bouncy, but I'm still very worried. Thanks for all your help everyone!

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its a bit high of a temp. I personally would put on antibiotics but its up to you if you feel he needs it

13. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    You might try 1ml of Bo-Se if he hasn't had any. 1 ml should be good if he's 40-50 lbs. Need to get it from your vet. If he's not critical I'd just give it SQ. If your vet knows goats ask for his/her reccommendation on dosage.
    Probios would help keep his rumen healthy. If scours continue for more than one day you'll need to keep him from getting dehydrated. Drench with pediacure or something similar. Or make your own. I use 2 Tblsps sugar, 1 tsp salt in 1 quart of water. Some use a bit of baking soda too.
    Take him off his feed as well. Scours is caused when the bacteria in the digestive system get out of whack. Taking him off feed usually speeds up the process of returning the bacteria to normal. No goat will starve in 24 hrs. If you're concerned provide some good quality grass hay. And plenty of fresh, clean water.
    You may want to think about what you're feeding him as well. An alfalfa and grain diet increases the chance of urinary calculi in bucks. Castrating before puberty, 3-4 months of age, also increases the chance of urinary calculi.
    If you want to continue to grain him the addition of Ammonium Chloride in his diet will help. The grain you're feeding him may have it in it already. Also poviding a loose mineral with a 2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus helps. Most loose minerals have plenty of salt which increases his thirst so he'll drink more water which also helps prevent UC.
    Hope he's back to normal by the time you read this.

14. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    Hes still funky, but up and tying to jump around, so acting much better, His temp is down to normal. His poo is normal now!! My kids get bo se at birth, so im not sure I want to give it to him again so soon? I havent had a problem with the way Im feeding yet, and only have a problem with this one kid, so im reluctant to change it. I know about the urinary stones, however this guy is headed for freezer camp shortly. Hes also getting free minerals. I think I may start him on antibiotics tomorrow or tonight depending on how he looks tonight.
    Thanks for all your help!

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I wouldnt give him anymore BoSe at this point. You can easily OD them on it

16. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    If he's had Bo-Se no need to give him any more. Hence my statement

"You might try 1ml of Bo-Se if he hasn't had any."

Glad to hear he's doing better.

17. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I'm glad he's feeling better.

18. jberter

jberter New Member

Awww, poor little fellow,, :sigh: glad he is starting to feel better now though.. :hug: I am having my 2 boer boys banded soon so hope they bounce back better than this little guy when they do it

19. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    ah, I must have skipped over the "if he hasnt had any" bit.
    Thanks DPW, MiGoat and jberter!
    Jberter, best of luck with your boys, I'm sure they will bounce back just fine :)