The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! New here! I've visited several times & gotten some useful info from reading through threads but this is my first post.

One of our Boer doelings (3 months old) started with diarrhea last week. We dewormed & treated with Corid & Nuflor. The diarrhea cleared up but she was still not well...staying separate from the herd, still on grain but not eating eagerly, semi-lethargic (up & mobile but not active). Yesterday morning when I went out to do chores she didn't get up until I nudged her. Nibbled at her feed but was pretty listless & weak. She was head-wobbling (think a subtle "elderly lady" head shake) but no eye-twitching or circling. I put her in a sick pen & for the past 24 hours have treated with: Penicillin 1.5cc every 6 hrs (she's 24 lbs), Thiamine 1.25cc every 6 hrs, electrolyte solution twice daily, Magic oral drench twice daily. Took her off feed until tonight I offered a small amount (which she nibbled at). At this point, she is still weak but has an appetite. Nibbles at hay & drinks the electrolytes but not plain water. Gums & tongue are PALE, no fever (she's consistent 101.5). She stands kind of hunched, in a corner, forehead to the wall & doesn't move or else she is laying down. The head-bobbing/wobbling/shaking is why I started the Thiamine (fear of polio). A little background: we have had diarrhea off & on in the pen/pasture that she is normally in (only in that one) but haven't yet tested a fecal sample so we don't know the cause. I don't know what is wrong with her so I'm not sure if I'm treating correctly or how long to continue with it.

Does anybody have any idea what this is? Any treatment suggestions are appreciated! Heading to bed in a bit so I may not check back til morning. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did 24 hours of B1 (Thiamine) & she is drinking an electrolyte solution twice a day. I don't believe she's drinking much, if any, plain water. I will try to take a fecal sample in today.

Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts