The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We out to check on the show babies and the youngest(Apr 23) back end was messed up like it has scours/diaharra. I gave it 4ccs of pepto and some probios. I am headed to work and hope to come back and check at lunch. Any suggestion? I also have scour halt. Not sure of the dosage for pepto and scour halt, so if someome can help that would be great. I estimate her to weight 30 lbs. She is in the pen with 2 others and they are fine at the moment. I am sending my daughter out to watch her in a couple of hours to see whats happening.....so any help or suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure, i just bought her. What all are the symptons...my daughter just told me she is walking around baying/bleating

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
2 cc per 10# I believe for scour halt

runs are caused by rumen upset..either from too much grain/graze or introducing new feed too fast...this poop will be a greenish tint
Cocci is very common in kids and can bring one down fast and causes gut pain. Poop will be dark in color and can have blood and mucus as well...
there are several other reason for the runs but these two are the most common ,here is a link to discuss other reasons
http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/#.Ud650GSDTL8

If you have not treated for Cocci that would be something to do...Sumet or Dimethox are OTC choices and you would want to treat the whole kid herd...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will it have the directions for how much to give and will tractor supply have it? Can i give the scour halt and this too

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Yes you can give both...TSC should carry one or the other or both : ) dimethox is a better choice than sulmet..but both are good..both are 1 cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5...straight from the bottle..do not dilute

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 cc per 10# i believe for scour halt

runs are caused by rumen upset..either from too much grain/graze or introducing new feed too fast...this poop will be a greenish tint
cocci is very common in kids and can bring one down fast and causes gut pain. Poop will be dark in color and can have blood and mucus as well...
There are several other reason for the runs but these two are the most common ,here is a link to discuss other reasons
http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/#.ud650gsdtl8

if you have not treated for cocci that would be something to do...sumet or dimethox are otc choices and you would want to treat the whole kid herd...
is this by mouth or injected?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Orally

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
she looks perky at least..lol..that color poop does screams cocci ...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok...my TSC didn't have either meds. I panicked and went to my vet. He has sent me home with a weeks worth or wormer. I'm scared! I give 1syringe of cydectin today and gave 6 syringes of panicur. 1 a day until she clears up. He said cocci was parasites. Am I doing the right thing????

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
ogfabby is right...they need a coccistate or sulfa drug..I cant find sulmet in my area but I can get 12.5% Sodium Sulfamethazine which is the medication name...Albon is the brand name of Dimethox I believe..and then there is corid..which is better to use than not treating..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He is closed now I had to drive 30 min to his office. The co~op said they had a gaol on of Dimethox but she didnt pronounce it like that and she said a man gets it for his goats but she didnt know why to do with it. I'm at a loss and I have to work tomorrow I don't want this goat to die. Should I go ahead and give the cydectin

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Cydectin wont help with cocci :confused: is the co op stil opened? if so I would get the dimethox..here is a link to show you what each looks like and the medication names of each
http://goat-link.com/content/view/145/155/#.Ud8xCGSDTL8

How is she acting now? is she still alert and eating drinking ?? playful?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No its closed too and its also in the other town, the earliest i will get to go get anything will be tomorrow after 3 when I get off work. :mad: this is nerve racking

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
i Know..but you can only do what can be done...keep her hydrated in the mean time..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First I would like to say I am so very thankful for this site and you friends. I ended up calling a goat friend in a town 40mins away and told her my problems and she agreed with all of you. I drove to her house she GAVE me meds and i have just gotten back gave the meds and cleaned there pen. Praying all is well in the morning!!!! I will surely update.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts