The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe had triplets almost three weeks ago. The largest kid is now acting like he might be sick. No obvious signs(coughing, scours) but he doesn't seem to playful and his tail is down. What can I do?

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
I agree, get a temp on him . 101.5-103.5 is normal range

·
Administrator
85,671 Posts
Glad to hear from you.

If a kid doesn't get enough milk from mom, supplement feed as well. Feel the tummy and make sure the kid has a good feeling tummy, not overly full but, has milk in there.

Check momma and see if her milk is OK. Does she have a good udder size or is it empty like?

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
yes, that is what I did with triplets...I supplemented using goats milk from my other moms who had more than enough...be sure you are using goats milk, so not to upset his tummy with the switch from mom to the other milk and back...and not too full, like Pam said, you want a firm tummy, not sunken or poochy : ) glad he is doing well..good job!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got home in time to feed him again, not looking good. Back legs aren't working well and appears blind. He's sleeping standing up. Sounds like polio to me. Why didnt the vet catch this this morning? What are your thoughts? Waiting on call back to vet

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sad to say, he passed away this afternoon. If only the vet would have believed me when I said something was wrong. As I waited for the vet to call me, I gave a shot of b complex(all I had) then my husband went to pick up b-1 from the vet, but when he got home the little guy was having trouble breathing. Gave they dose the vet said but too late. As I was cleaning up and husband was burying him, I looked at the meds and saw I was given b-12 complex. Wish I could find a vet who knew about goats.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
Im so very sorry!!! You did what you could...Hope you can find a better goat vet near enough....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts