The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am waiting on a call back to schedule a farm visit with the vet, but they are booked today and I feel like this is an urgent situation.
My problems started when I had one heavily pregnant nigerian dwarf goat develop diarrhea. I started corid treatment and contacted the vet to get a fecal done. I was not able to collect a sample to bring in (she wasn't the tamest goat and did not like to be handled), so I penned her overnight so that we could get a fresh sample in the morning to take to the vet. She died overnight.
The next day my 4 month old buckling developed diarrhea. I moved him and his mother to a clean isolation pen. I immediately started corid, but he has shown no improvement so this morning I contacted the vet for an emergency visit, that's when the office let me know the vet was booked solid, so I'm waiting to see what they can do. I've been checking on the goats every couple of hours, and now I'm seeing that his mom has diarrhea also. She was just getting over barberpole/bottle jaw after aggressive treatment for the barberpole and anemia.
I just feel so helpless and out of control, and now I can't even get a vet visit! Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,609 Posts
I'm so sorry this is happening! I'm calling @happybleats, she'll have some real good advice for you. In the mean time:

Get at temp on all your sick goats.
Give them Injectable Vitamin B complex and probiotic
Put out a bucket of electrolytes.
If you have activated charcoal that wouldn't hurt and it could help if they ate something poisonous.

Do you have CD antitoxin? I wonder if this could be enterotoxemia.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so sorry this is happening! I'm calling @happybleats, she'll have some real good advice for you. In the mean time:

Get at temp on all your sick goats.
Give them Injectable Vitamin B complex and probiotic
Put out a bucket of electrolytes.
If you have activated charcoal that wouldn't hurt and it could help if they ate something poisonous.

Do you have CD antitoxin? I wonder if this could be enterotoxemia.
I've been keeping an eye on temps and they are all in the normal range. I did give the 4 month old probiotics, injectable b complex and his 2nd cd&t yesterday. I'll go mix up some electrolytes right now. I do not have activated charcoal or antitoxin on hand, but I can go pick some up from the feed store if they have it.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Im so sorry for your loss and troubles. What color are scours? How are famachas? A fecal needs to be done to know if you are dealing with worms or coccidia. Corid only addresses coccidia. This time of year offers challenges with parasites.
How are over all condition? Thinning? Lethargic? Off feed/hay?
I would Continue with b complex
Do Tummy Tamer with added garlic
Get a fecal asap to know what and how much worm load you maybe dealing with
The scour halt or spector guard as mentioned and keep them hydrated. Keep browse food and hay in front if them.

Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses
20 -30 cc water
Blend with a garlic clove or two..drench 4 times a day.
I would collect a fecal sample and then dose with a broad spectrum dewormer like ivomec or cydectin sheep drench.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I got spectogard from the feed store and gave them both their doses. Filled their bucket with electrolytes. I will work on the drench solution next. The store was out of anti-toxin so I have to go to a different city but I can't do that until after work and if the roads aren't flooded. Just got a message from the vet, they are coming out this evening between 7 and 9pm, so like 7 hours from now.
When I gave them the spectogard I noticed there is a bit of foamy spit around the doe's mouth.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Check her rumen function. Listen for gurgles and burps and gasses..watch to see if she chews her cud...foam maybe just from over zealous chewing but we want to be sure. Grab a current temp as well

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im so sorry for your loss and troubles. What color are scours? How are famachas? A fecal needs to be done to know if you are dealing with worms or coccidia. Corid only addresses coccidia. This time of year offers challenges with parasites.
How are over all condition? Thinning? Lethargic? Off feed/hay?
I would Continue with b complex
Do Tummy Tamer with added garlic
Get a fecal asap to know what and how much worm load you maybe dealing with
The scour halt or spector guard as mentioned and keep them hydrated. Keep browse food and hay in front if them.

Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses
20 -30 cc water
Blend with a garlic clove or two..drench 4 times a day.
I would collect a fecal sample and then dose with a broad spectrum dewormer like ivomec or cydectin sheep drench.
Mom's condition is not good. She is very thin, just barely survived her bout with barberpole worms and severe anemia/bottlejaw. We were working on getting her back to a healthy weight and now this happened. She is eating, just not nearly as much as she was a couple of days ago, so I feel like she's losing interest in food. 4-month-old baby has been super healthy until this. He's plump and has been very lively until the scours started. He is not really interested in food.
Days like this make me think I'm really just not cut out for the livestock life. I hate how they can go from ok to REALLY bad so quickly.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check her rumen function. Listen for gurgles and burps and gasses..watch to see if she chews her cud...foam maybe just from over zealous chewing but we want to be sure. Grab a current temp as well
I did hear tummy gurgles when I was out there, and noticed her chewing some cud.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
It's so hard to watch them go down hill. For mama...smoothies can help get calories in them. Dark greens, carrots, celery, garlic..an apple..blend in electrolytes til smooth..drench if she won't slurp it up. Offer leaves frommevery safe tree you have to temp her to eat more. Being already compromised puts her in a critical situation...she doesn't have much left in her after that first fight with parasites. Probiotics are a must 3 hours after the scours halt. 🤞

You are doing good. These battles have us all question why we do it. We do it for the wins. Every battle we fight is a battle of learning..to help next time to be a head, prepared and to help others. You got this!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's so hard to watch them go down hill. For mama...smoothies can help get calories in them. Dark greens, carrots, celery, garlic..an apple..blend in electrolytes til smooth..drench if she won't slurp it up. Offer leaves frommevery safe tree you have to temp her to eat more. Being already compromised puts her in a critical situation...she doesn't have much left in her after that first fight with parasites. Probiotics are a must 3 hours after the scours halt. 🤞

You are doing good. These battles have us all question why we do it. We do it for the wins. Every battle we fight is a battle of learning..to help next time to be a head, prepared and to help others. You got this!!
Thank you. I will make sure I get her some calories! It's been raining and flooding here so they haven't had much time to graze the pasture.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Yes the rain makes things so much harder!! We have been hit hard for weeks off and in heavy rain. Things are a smelly mess. Keep bringing limbs for her.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just did another check on the sick goat ward. Mama had a temp of 101.4 and baby was at 102. They nibbled on some alfalfa pellets and ate some tallow and oak leaves. Definitely not as vigorously as usual though. I gave them each a big syringe of electrolyte water because I hadn't seen them drink.
I forgot to answer before, but the poop is basically like melted milk chocolate (color and texture) and pretty smelly.
On my next check I'll give them a smoothie with probiotics added.

I wish I had a nanny or school to occupy my 3 human kids so I can just sit out in the barn and monitor the goats. We also had 3 moms just give birth so I've got them and 5 brand new doelings to keep an eye on!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vet came by and took fecal samples. She also gave them antibiotics and levamisole. She said coccidia was not a concern but that worm count (haemonchus and trichostrongylus mix) was disturbingly high on both. Going to recheck in 5 days to see if the levamisole worked. In the meantime, she said to keep them hydrated and give vitamin b complex injections. We are keeping them in their isolation pen away from the rest of the herd.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Hope they do well for you. levamisole is super strong dewormer. I hope not too strong for mamas weakened Condition. Keep a close eye in her.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hope they do well for you. levamisole is super strong dewormer. I hope not too strong for mamas weakened Condition. Keep a close eye in her.
Yeah I didn't realize what she gave them until after she sent me the fecal results. She said mom's count was 13,000 eggs/gram and baby's was 22,150 eggs/gram. I don't know ANYTHING about worm counts, but she said that was "disturbingly wormy".

1 - 20 of 105 Posts