The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cody is not acting right today. She had twins last Saturday. She isn't eating, has runny poo and isn't energetic. She also doesn't appear to have much/any milk.

Woohoo, she's back to her normal self, eating drinking etc... :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you taken her temperature? It sounds like she may have milk fever or could be thrown into it by stomach issues. Any time one of my newly fresh does quits eating and making milk I give injectible calcium. Use Norcalciphos or CMPK. You need to get it from your vet. I give 30cc subQ twice a day. It is given in two or three spots. I also give 30-40cc propylene glycol orally twice a day. Do not milk her out. If the kids are nursing, get them on a bottle. Don't let them drain her. She needs the calcium.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Get her temp asap. Feel her udder, is it hot? Make sure the kids are getting enough to eat. If not you are going to need to supplement them. If you don't have cmpk on hand then give her some tums. If she wont eat those then crush them up in water and syringe them to her.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
You do not have to get the CMPK from the vet, a lot of different places have it. IF you can not find it right away, then get her either some Calcium pills crushed up or tums. She needs calcium. I would aslo do a Vit B shot.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
sweetgoats said:
You do not have to get the CMPK from the vet, a lot of different places have it. IF you can not find it right away, then get her either some Calcium pills crushed up or tums. She needs calcium. I would aslo do a Vit B shot.
I know you can get oral CMPK from other places, but can you get the injectable anywhere else but the vet? Just curious. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well we took her to the vet- she had a temp of 106 :)help:), she had worms- but not the bad kind- we are treating her for Pneumonia, she coughed when we were at the vet...otherwise there was nothing obvious...

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don't have enough experience to give you advice but others here will continue to do so. I just wanted to let you know I'm hoping she gets better real soon. Those kids are adorable, gotta love those ears! :)

·
Super Moderator
82,572 Posts
well we took her to the vet- she had a temp of 106 :)help:), she had worms- but not the bad kind- we are treating her for Pneumonia, she coughed when we were at the vet...otherwise there was nothing obvious...
I am glad you took her to the vet and had a stool sample done, from the stress of having her kids, dropped her immunity , in which the worms took over and gave her the scours, and then pneumonia....

Have you taken her temperature? It sounds like she may have milk fever
milk fever, does the opposite (constipation) not scours.....

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Ok i hope the vet suggested an antibiotic. If not start her on a 7 day treatment of penicillin! And give it at a rate of 1cc per 20lbs Did the vet weigh her? if not estimate and estmate high.

For the scours I would give pepto. Give her some electrolytes or gaterade water until you can get the electrolytes (horse kind work too).

I dont know why the vet said the worms arent the bad kind -- never knew a worm load that was good :shrug: What kind of worms does she have and what kind of wormer did he suggest?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
StaceyRoop said:
Ok i hope the vet suggested an antibiotic. If not start her on a 7 day treatment of penicillin! And give it at a rate of 1cc per 20lbs Did the vet weigh her? if not estimate and estmate high.
I dont know why the vet said the worms arent the bad kind -- never knew a worm load that was good :shrug: What kind of worms does she have and what kind of wormer did he suggest?
lets see what i remember of what the vet said:
she weighes 92LBS... I don't remember the kind of worms- but he gave her a shot for that...

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Ok probably like ivermectin. I woudl follow up the wormer in 7-10 days (no sooner or no later) with another dose of ivermectin. You can use a horse paste. This will get rid of any eggs that were laid that hatch before they lay eggs and continue the cycle.

Did he start her on antibiotic? She needs that with possible pneumoina and such a high fever! 92lbs would mean just under 5ccs of penicillin once a day for 7 days. (or even twice a day for the first 3 days).

·
14,615 Posts
quote] I am glad you took her to the vet and had a stool sample done, from the stress of having her kids, dropped her immunity , in which the worms took over and gave her the scours, and then pneumonia....

Exactly! Worms do their finest as soon as those kids are born they party big time.

And an amen to what Stacey says!

Also be sure to give her some proboitics around 12hrs after any antibiotics to help with the good flora in her rumen.
Hope she recovers quickly for you! Your vet should be able to answer any questions you might have. He/she can even tell you what wormload she did have.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
never heard of either. :shrug:

I hope she improves for you. Make sure she is drinking so that her production picks back up.

Keep a good eye on the kids that they don't start to go hungry

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
The second one is probably amoxicillin(sp), but no idea on the first.

From Fiasco farm: "Drug Name:

Trimethoprim/Sulfaethoxazole - Rx
Trimethoprim/Sulfaiazine - Rx

Brand Names:

* TMP/SDZ
* TMP/SMX
* TMP/SMZ
* Tribrissen
* Bactrim
* Septra
* Cotrim
* Di-Trim

* For treatment of:
o A broad spectrum antibiotic and sulfa combination with a wide spectrum of activity against gram negative and positive organisms. For scours, pneumonia and misc. other infections.
* Goat dose: Oral
o 30mg/kg (665mg/50 pounds) twice daily.
o One 960mg tablet per 70-75 pounds twice daily. (The most common tablets are 960mg.)
* Milk withholding time: 8 days
* Notes:
o There is some question about the oral use of trimethoprim in ruminants. Some thoughts are that it may significantly degraded in the rumen.
"

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Please keep us posted on how she is doing. :hug:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
looks like she might have eaten a little bit...and her udder is looking a bit bigger- But she looks tired still

1 - 20 of 24 Posts