The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon feed all the critters and everyone seemed fine. Then mid day I noticed one of my nannys laying by the fence in the front pen alone which is very odd for her. Went out and she stood up calling for me and her back end was covered in nasty green diarrhea so I cleaned her up and put her in the barn. I gave her pepto, red cell, probios, b12 injection and ivomectic wormer. She is eating I gave her a pan full of green leaves and hay and she had been eating that along with green grass I pulled. I checked her eye lids and they are white. She is very alert just poor looking and this came on fast. I wormed the whole herd a few weeks ago so I'm stumped everyone else is happy and pink eye lids. Hopefully I caught it soon and she is OK.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
What did you worm with and at what dosage? Did you have a fecal done to see which parasites you were dealing with?

There is no one dewormer that takes care of all worms. You may not have treated for the parasites that she has.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
What dosage did you use?

1cc per 20-25 lbs is what the dosage is for goats.

I would give her a B Complex shot and Probios. I would also offer her some electrolyte water. No grain until her poop is back to normal.

If eyelids are white, then I would give her red cell or iron injections. I would also take a poop sample in to the vet and have them test it to include coccidia.

Could she have eaten anything poisonous or eaten too much of something she normally doesn't eat?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe I gave her 2cc and yes I gave b12, probios and red cell already. She is eating green leaves and hay and I'm not feeding grain to her. She is not lethargic just puny acting. She calls to me when I'm out there so that makes me feel good. I'm going back out later and check on her.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
So she is about 40-50 lbs?

I would have a fecal done. Make sure they include coccidia. Adults can just as easily have a problem with coccidia.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes she weighs rough 50lbs I am not sure when I can get to the vet they aren't open when I go to work and they are closed when I get home. I just went back out and she was standing at the gate she ate some more leaves for me and drank some molasses water her stool is loose hopefully by tomorrow that will be cleared up.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
You could always give her c&d antitoxin or MOM to bind the toxins. The other option is to just go ahead and treat for coccidia.

I believe molasses can cause diarrhea. You may want to try electrolytes. Happybleats has a homemade recipe on here if you do a search.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK changed her water out to just fresh water and checked on her she was more alert and I tried giving her more leaves but all she seems to want to do was nibble my finger got up and followed me just to trying to get my fingers. I gave her another dose of red cell. She is penned in the barn away from the others will check on her in the morning.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Green runny poo is uaully dietary....CD Antitoxin will help if you dont have any Milk of Magnseia can help as well 15 cc per 60#...dont skimp. Pepto is soothing and help dry the bum but dont use it if you are using M.O.M.
You are right giving green leaves and hay, no feed..probios or yogurt will help restore flora...keep her well hydrated...
Red cell is 6 cc per 100# I would give her double day one, then daily for a week then once a week until color returns..Vit B 12 is a wonderful support vit to help her rebuild her red blood cells..
With anemia, dont expect a quick heal..it take time...dont over do the red cell...Ivomec Plus is a good broad base wormer and covers many of the worms she might have., although a fecal is always good to get, when you cant better to choose a broad base wormer..never under dose wormer...I prefere 1 cc per 40# sub Q....especially when they are heavy loaded, which the anemia indicates...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm worried it might be cocci I ran to tsc and they are out of meds for it. I plan on getting some at the farm store but I won't be until tomorrow afternoon after work. I checked on her again and she has been up moving tried give her more leaves but she wouldn't and still only wanted nibble and bit my fingers sweet girl. It did seem like her eye lids were not as white as earlier today just hoping everything I've gave her helps until I can get some other meds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sad to say my nanny passed away today. Now what are some things I can do to prevent this from happening again? I'm thinking it was cocci

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Im so sorry you lost her!!!
From her early symptoms..I dont htink you were dealing with cocci, I think more dietary runs with it being green in color, cocci poop is more dark brown to black and smells to high heaven...If she got into grain, corn, chicken feed, too much grain, wet graze, new grain ...anything that messed up her rumen, it will cause the runs, lethargic, some goats have a lot of pain, will kick they belly grind their teeth ect......any time a goat has severe scours..Give C D antitoxin..if you cant get any, you can use Milk of Magnesia, both which bind toxin builidng in the gut..this happen the minute the rumen begins to shut down..1/4-1/2 teaspoon Baking soda in enough water to drench and get them eating green leaves hay alfalfa..but no feed. electrolytes to help keep them hydrated .
She most certainly could have has cocci as well, any stressor can open the way for worm load to take over.... I would fecal your herd to be sure no one else is having an issue...Check everyone lower inner eye lids for color, should be deep pink to red...pale lids are anemic ... and treat if needed...
again, I am very sorry you lost her...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I've checked everyone they are all pink and happy and healthy. Her poop ended up turning to water and I fave her everything I had and knew what to give. She was 4 months shy of being 2 had a kid back in July.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Sounds like the rest of the herd is doing very well, Im guessing something shut her rumen down,....Im sorry..its never easy when we loose one..you did all you could for her...
If you dont have c d antitoxin on hand I would get some..I cant find any around here so have to order it from jeffers...its one of those meds that if you need it...you need it now..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.UkD9xmSDTL8

1 - 17 of 17 Posts