The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I posted a thread a couple days ago about a new born buckling that wouldn't nurse. The good news is he is great! But his momma just went to the vet deathly sick. This has me in a dillema. The only goat I have with milk just kidded also, she is the meanest most protective goat we have. I have never tried to use her as a replacement. How should I do this??

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Can you milk her? You may have to bottle feed the baby with her milk....we will see what others have to say:D

·
Registered
979 Posts
It sounds like there are only 2 options right now....milk the goat who is in milk...or switch to whole cow's milk. If the doe with milk JUST kidded..she may have only colustrum...and her kids may need it all. If she's a day or two fresh, I might milk her and get some whole cows milk and start with the goat's milk, but slowly switch the bottle baby onto cow's milk. Especially if the doe with milk has a couple kids on her already. If the sick doe gets a good prognosis and can be milked again in a week or so, I might work up to and stay at a 50/50 goats /cows milk until mom's back in commission, then slowly swtich back to hers...but that's a lot of work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, the doe with milk kidded same day as sick doe, and they both only had singles. I know she has the milk for it, just not the temperament. Best case scenario for me, this doe accepts sick does kid.

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
If she is that protective, don't be surprised if she is not interested. What you may want to do first is to start milking her and feeding the boy her milk. When she smells his butt, it will smell like her milk then. Of course by the time this happens, you will probably have a bottle baby anyway. Be careful that she doesn't kill the kid.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
I agree with Karen..never leave the kid in with her unattended..Best wishes for sick mom...; ( what did the vet have to say about her?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of your help. We have been able to leave him with this doe, and make her nurse him, but we definitely would never leave them unattended. I know he will eventually be a bottle baby, but for today this is seeming to work

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
even if he is a bottle baby leave him in with the herd of goats. He will have the interaction of the other kid and learn to be a goat from the moms. Hopefully your sick mama recovers and can take her boy back. But if not I wouldnt remove him totally from the herd. Even with kids who were rejected by their mothers I always leave them with the herd as I bottle feed.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
I agree with Stacy as long as he is old enough to move himself from danger..maybe a dog kennel at night to keep him safe until he is a few months old...: ) hope mom recovers soon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, vet was unsure what was going on. Not septic, passed placenta, no fever, no tetanus, but can't stand or walk, and just moans with horrible scours. We are just in disbelief. She was probably our best doe, and mother.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
did the vet do a fecal?

What medicine or supportive treatments did he put her on? Probios? B complex? wormer?

What is her temp? Any discharge? what does it smell like?

Did he check her ketones? what does her breath smell like?

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
..I would also like to know what the vet is doing for her??

Is she on C D Antitoxin?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts