Sick Nigi Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Krista, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Krista

Krista New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    I have a Nigerian doe that will just be turning 1 on the 19th. I noticed yesterday that she is acting weird and very standoffish. I let her out of her normal area to run around and find some fresh graze. She wanted to get back in and jumped the electric fencing.

She seems to be turning her head only to the right. She wants nothing to do with anyone and doesn't walk much. She may be limping on her hind right leg.

I have a call into the vet. I need to go take her temp. should I try giving her some banamine? I don't know what would be wrong with her. She seems to be fine in both her eyes. (I had a wether go downhill fast 2 years ago to listeriosis that I had to put down) I am hoping this is not the same thing, as that is supposed to be rare.

Any and all help would be appreciated. She eats pasture grass and sweet oat mix. Just coming due for her annual CDT but hasn't had anything else. I have not seen her pee or poop, but our weather has been dreaded wet today and I haven't watched her much.

Thanks for helping out.

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I believe time is of the essence here. Polio and listeriosis come to mind. A shot of thiamine or FORTIFIED B-12 and a shot of Penicillin. C&D antiTOXIN, not the toxoid, wouldn't hurt if she over indulged on the fresh grass. IF you don't have the injectable thiamine or the F B-12 you can use a human B-1 pill crushed and drenched.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Polio sounds like a very likely possibility. She needs B1 (Thiamine) or as crocee said fortified B complex

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am praying for her......... :pray: :hug:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would do as was mentioned...very high dose of B-Complex as well as the Pen G......getting a minimum of 10 cc B comp into her ASAP every 6 hours will help greatly as it does sound like it could be polio, the Pen should be 1cc per 10 pounds every 6 hours as well JUST IN CASE it is Listeria, I had a probable case here with my 5 month old doeling and the vet even said that with a possible listeria the Pen G likely saved her,, now there was also question of a mold poisoning as well and I had given her activated charcoal just in case.

6. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Is she doing any circling, head-pressing, or staring off into space ('star-gazing')?

Did you get a chance to check her temperature?

The vit. B will not hurt at all and neither will the pen or banamine.

Let us know how she's doing :pray:

7. Krista

Krista New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    She has a cloudy eye on her right side and that is the side she is favoring. I took her temp and it is okay. Her ears feel cold. I gave her a heat lamp and a blanket because we have bad rain and wind again tonight. I also gave her a penicillin shot and about a cup of warm water and molasses shots through a syringe. That is the only thing I have seen her drink. I did hear her gurgling and burp from that, which is good.
    She is not walking well though, but almost favors standing vs sitting down. I will see what the morning brings. Worried, and my local vet just had a baby and has not called me back.

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    If you're looking for a vet to treat her there's an AWESOME animal hospital in Enumclaw. I know it's a bit far from where you live but I thought I'd let you know. Country Animal Hospital is the name. They're very knowledgeable about goats.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if her eye is cloudy could it be that she has developed pink eye in that eye?

10. Krista

Krista New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    I checked on her this AM and she is weak. She is snuggled down and resting. I had to get my kids off to school so I will be back out to check her shortly and give her some more molasses and water and another dose of penicillin. And maybe some vit B if I have.

Stacey-what would treat the pink eye? I know that is quite common in goats, conjunctivitis.

Thank you for the vet name in Enumclaw. If I don't hear anything back locally, I may call with some questions.

I will keep you posted.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    crush up some B1 vitamines and mix with water and drench.

it wont hurt her if she doesnt have polio but if she does it may just save her life.

pink eye = treat with LA 200 in the eye (squirt to coat, no needle) give her a shot of LA 200 as well 1cc per 20lbs

if you have any human pink eye drops those work too and you can do that in stead of the LA200

12. Krista

Krista New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    Can they have a Vitamin, Thiamin, Riboflavin and Niacin combo? It has 150 mg of Vit c.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that I dont know

you want somethign that has the MOST B1 in it as possible. I would give her 4 B1 tablets

14. Krista

Krista New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    I talked with the vet. She thinks maybe Jez got into some moldy feed that may have been at the bottom of the pig feeder or compost. She is much worse now, eye completely yellow and clouded over, drooling and tongue out on the right. Just like my wether 2 years ago that I had to put down from listeriosis. Such a horrible thing. I will miss her terribly, as she is the first doeling we ever had. And the only kid we kept. I don't think it will be much longer, and I am wishing I could almost put her out of pain sooner, but I cannot do that.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you not even trying to treat her?

16. Krista

Krista New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    I am and have been trying to treat. But if you saw her right now, you would probably agree that she has gone down hill extremely quickly. The vet said it is probably too late, but I am still trying.....back out to check on her now.

17. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Look at the list of ingredients on whatever B vitamins you have. crush enough of them to get 100mg B-1 and drench her. You can't give the LA200 with Pen as they cancel out one another. IF you have C&D antiTOXIN I would give that also. 20CC orally and 20cc Injected. She sounds very sick but I would keep trying. I didn't see anything in the list of ingredients you gave that would hurt her. IF you see an improvement after giving the B vitamins I would send someone to the store to get a bottle of B-1 pills. They are only a couple bucks and could mean the difference between life and death for your doeling. If you were closer I would give you what you need.

18. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    So sorry Krista.

Make sure that the baby is warm! That's very important so that her organs can keep functioning. Microwave blankets, heating pads, etc. but try not to let her body temperature go below 100F.

If you are willing the vet can treat her for icterus (yellow eyes) with fluids and antibiotics. Keep giving her the bose at 6hour intervals. In a baby this young, she may not be able to recover. :tears: I will be praying and thinking about you both.

19. Krista

Krista New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    Thanks for the help. She is now lying on her right side with her head propped on the board that is the door to her house. She is drooling badly and still has her tongue hanging out the right side of her mouth. She does have heat on her. And she feels extremely warm now.

This is exactly what happened to my wether 2 years ago that the vet said it was too late to save and put him down.

I will try some more vitamins per your acknowledgements and see if this helps.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can see the dosage chart on the right hand side http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... iosis.html