The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure of age. We were told she was 2 months when we adopted her & we've had her for about 3 weeks. But she is tiny...the smallest of the bunch. She started with soft stools. I tried some pepto and electrolytes...her stools are now watery. She has snotty substance from her eyes and is grinding her teeth. I have gone from all my past experience...very little! And tried every suggestion before. I treated her with neomycin & ammox for antibiotics. We already gave her dewormer. I have been giving b complex injections & tried the baking soda in water. She seemed to be improving a bit. Had stopped grinding her teeth & was nibbling a bit again. But then Yesterday she started grinding again. we finally got the c d antitoxin and gave her a dose so she seemed ok last night & now this morning...there's so much around her eyes...stools are still water, she's grinding her teeth and refusing to eat. Almost all the pepto & electrolytes ended up in my hand :(. What else can I do? What's the dosing regimen for the cd antitoxin? Any other treatment ideas. I feel like I've given her everything over the past 2 weeks and just when things are looking up...shes down again! Is it possible she still needs milk?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
What did you treat her with?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
For how many days?

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Corid is dosed differently than Sulmet or DiMethox. I'm not sure if that was the right dosage. Did you give it to her straight? It is a thiamine inhibitor so with already being sick, she may have been affected by that.

You need to give her high doses of Fortified B Complex or get Thiamine. It is probably time to see the vet. There may be more going on now.

She probably needs C&D Antitoxin along with the B Complex.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
How is your little doe? I agree with treating for cocci..continue the CD Antitoxin and Fortified B complex or thiamine..Electrolytes for hydration...Pepto can be given to sooth her tummy and help dry her bum..
keep an eye on her temp and also her lower inner eye lids for anemia..

Cocci treatment is for 5 days...as stated with Corid you want to treat with Thiamine to prevent polio...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We lost her overnight. I followed the vets instructions for dosage. I already had given her the cd antitoxin & was giving her b vitamin & pepto since she 1st started with the loose stools. I am so frustrated. I learned nothing here. I feel like I tried everything & lost Emmy anyways. My boy is gonna be devastated. He's autistic & this is the 1st animal he has ever had a connection with. I don't even know how to tell him. & to top it off we got 4 goats from the same breeder & 2 more are starting with the dark loose sticky stools. Please help me. I am really ready to give up. We will be at the vet Monday morning, but scared they won't make it til then.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We lost her overnight. I followed the vets instructions for dosage. I already had given her the cd antitoxin & was giving her b vitamin & pepto since she 1st started with the loose stools. I am so frustrated. I learned nothing here. I feel like I tried everything & lost Emmy anyways. My boy is gonna be devastated. He's autistic & this is the 1st animal he has ever had a connection with. I don't even know how to tell him. & to top it off we got 4 goats from the same breeder & 2 more are starting with the dark loose sticky stools. Please help me. I am really ready to give up. We will be at the vet Monday morning, but scared they won't make it til then.
So sorry for hearing about your loss and especially for your son. I don't know much about goats, just starting out myself and had another emergency in a thread here too. I know the people in this forum do the best they can to help and we're grateful for their help.

Our baby goat had Cocci and we treated with Albon which seems to have cleared it up but now it seems like we have an adult doe with Cocci too as well as a slew of other issues. Nothing is open until tomorrow. :(

My wife read your post too and feels for you. We'll pray for you and your son. Hopefully there will be more input soon to help.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Im sorry you lost her....:(

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Cocci is just hard, I lost two to it earlier this year, despite doing the correct treatment, it took another round of treatment with a different drug for my one remaining doeling to pull through. It isn't your fault, your vet's fault, or anyone's fault it just is what it is. I know it can make you question your goat keeping skills because it certainly made me question mine. But when I think logically and not emotionally I know I did the right things and you did too. Sometimes by the time you see the signs and start to treat it is just too late, sometimes the strain of cocci you are treating is resistant to the particular med you are using. Corid is one in particular that a lot of strains of cocci are resistant to. I did treatment with sulmet first and then Dimethox. (sp) It took the Dimethox for Daffodil to recover. Listen to the people here they really care and will do everything possible to help you.
I am so sorry you lost her, I know how heart wrenching it is, especially when it is an animal your child loves. I hope your son takes it well. Consider it a lesson in the cycle of life. Hopefully his heart will be soothed by time.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I would get Dimethox from tractor supply and mix 1 cup of water with 1 1/2 teaspoons of powder. Then dose 1cc per 5lbs. Have the vet do a fecal tomorrow.

Sometimes by the time you see the scours the damage is already done. If you jump on this right away with the other kids you have a good shot at recovery.

It's tough and I recently lost a kid to this too despite all my efforts and my friends efforts. Some just dont make it :(

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I'm so sorry about your loss :( But yes, you need to jump on this right away with the other goats, because if you catch it right away, they have a good shot at recovery.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there something wrong with the Corid? My local tractor supply doesn't carry the anything. They said most the OTC names I gave were just generic for other prescription meds. Corid is all I could get without an appt. Taking a fecal to the vet this afternoon.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Corid is effective agains cocci however, It is a thiamine inhibitor and so Thiamine or Fortified B complex needs to be given. I would do it along side corid, others wait and see if any Polio symptoms begin , then treat..

Its important to follow dosing instructions..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts