The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a boer/alpine cross buckling 2 weeks ago. He was very "chill" on the way home. The person I bought him from said that he was about a month old and has been on his mom the whole time so I knew I might have some issues getting him to bottle feed.
I got him home and he refused to eat/swallow anything. He would nibble hay though. His stomach was sunken in, he stood all hunched up and grinded his teeth. Wouldn't play with the other goats at all and just wanted to sleep. I have been reading and trying everything. Gave him nutridrench and bounce back forcibly. Also gave him b complex shot and shot of LA 200. He has not been vaccinated. I wormed him about a week ago with safeguard. Also gave oral vitamin B with probiotics...finally started to eat for me, but suckle is very weak. I gave the LA 200 every other day for two doses, and he ate like he was actually suppose to....once....I didn't give a third dose of LA 200 because he seemed to be getting better, and then he went back to being too weak to stand and refusing to eat. Did the same treatment again, and he is eating again. However, last night I was comparing him visually wiith my other kids and noticed that not only is his growth significantly stunted but that he looks deformed. Yes he stands hunched up, but it's almost like he can't stand up right. And I had my hand feeling where his neck meets his shoulders and it crunches when he moves! Like with every step it's a pop or crunch! It made me instantly ill to think that he may have a broken bone or something, but my husband suggested that he has a congenital deformity and that is why he is so sickly and small. Has anyone every heard of this? I'm trying to do my homework before I decide what to do. Really don't have the money for a vet bill with xrays and such. Thinking of trying to get him better as best I can and give him to someone as a special needs goat. He's super sweet and gentle. :(

·
8,168 Posts
Can you take him back to the the breeder? He doesn't sound like he has much hope for a healthy life. Poor little guy. It's hard when you get attached to them.
Once antibiotics are started, it's best to do an entire course, so antibiotic resistance doesn't occur.
Good luck to you with him.

·
Fair-Haven
4,722 Posts
I would get a fecal (poop sample) from this kid - he may have coccidia - if so you need to treat. The fecal will also identify worms he may or may not have. Safeguard only targets specific worms and some find it ineffectual. Grinding his teeth indicates pain - it may be his gut - or something else.

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
Sounds like a bad case of coccidia to me. I would take him to a vet and have a fecal done to include coccidia. He needs treatment ASAP.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
This is a vet case, as far as has been described. Both for a fecal check for worms and cocci, and for the possible break/dislocation. What's her temp? If it is too low that can be indicative of a rumen shutting down, one cause of gut pain (but not the only cause, by any means)

Don't ever stop antibiotics early, once you've decided to start them. That's how superbugs are bred and we have enough of them already.

You'll need a thermometer and a tube of Probios (or similar) in your medical kit. Because everytime you post a problem, we'll want to know a temperature. I like to see temps between 101.5 and 103 Fahrenheit.

I'm very sorry for your little one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So sorry, everyone has given good advice. My only question is did this little one receive some type of selenium supplementation? That might be worth a try, especially since you are describing a weak suckle and trouble standing (although he possible broken bone could also explain his stance but not the weak suckle).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've started the antibiotic again, giving b complex injections, probiotics, bounce back. He's eating well, pooping well, peeing fine. He's still all hunched up and crunchy when he moves. Haven't gotten to check his temp yet. I will when I get home from work. I don't know that taking him back to the breeder would do much. I bought him from a Facebook group, barn there wasn't very clean, goats feet were bad neglected and it smelled really bad. I don't really have the funds for the very tight at the moment. I thought about just going and getting corid just because...I have minerals available and a block with selenium in it.

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
Hunched up is coccidia. If you don't have a fecal done, then definitely go ahead and treat him for it. The conditions he came from also scream coccidia.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
If you give Corid to treat Cocci (don't use the water treatment, use the drench treatment) then don't give B-Complex or Replamin Gel. The Thiamine (B-1) in them will prevent the Corid from working and you will still have a sick kid and will have wasted your money on the Corid.

I truly do recommend you get an X-Ray... Nothing else will show how to alleviate what has happened to the neck/shoulder/spine thing. Imagine you were owned by someone who would not investigate your neck pain...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts