Sick pregnant doe...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Laurel_Haven, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I need some help! I have a doe that is 19 months old that is down. She would not eat all day, still won't eat nothing, (grain or hay) nor would she leave the barn at all. This is so unlike her. I haven't felt much rumen contractions so I gave her some probios & Nutri-Drench. Tonight she seems to be getting worse. Her body temp is low as her ears are very cold, the rest of the does ears are very warm to the touch as it is in the low 80's here tonight. She doesn't want to get up, but will if she has to but slowly and seems to have trouble doing so. I just gave her a Vit. B Complex injection and forced some water w/ baking soda down her. What else can I do for her now? If she is not better I will call the vet first thing in the morning if need be or if things get much worse. But till then is there anything I am missing. Anything I am not thinking of. (so far in the past 8 hours she has had Probios, Nutri Drench, Vit. B, Baking Soda)
    The only thing I can think that may be the cause is that she was recently wormed with Ivomec 1% given orally (5 days ago) due to lice. That didn't seem to work so she was dusted with Sevin Dust 5% yesterday. Do you think this was the cause or just to much at once for her? I don't know what else it could be as she is normally healthy, active, as is my whole herd, who rarely if ever are ill.
    By the way this is her first pregnancy and she is due in December. So I am really getting concerned here. Very concerned... Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tina

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Do you have any calcium drench? It's a bit early for a calcium problem.. I think. But it sounds like that might be it.

What is her temp? Is she drinking water?

3. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Sorry I just came in from checking on her... No improvement.
    No she is not drinking water on her own. I had to syringe it into her. Her temp is low at 100.8.
    I do not have the Ca drench... She is only 1 1/2 months into her pregnancy.

4. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Do you think I could crush up calcium tablets and give to her?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm not really sure. I would think so. :shrug: I hope someone with more experience comes on soon.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is...... to early for a calcium problem it usually happens later. ,but the weird thing she is acting like it.........but we need her temperature taken to verify treatment....
    It would give us a better clue.

7. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Her temp was 100.8 about 20 minutes ago.

8. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Could this be a reaction to the Seven Dust with just being wormed with Ivomec prior in the week? I have used the Seven 5% before with no problems but it just seems odd that this happened the morning after it was used???

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how are her gums color and inside eye? If she had a big worm load or the lice sucked alot of blood she could be anemic ?????

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very wormy goats, when dosed with dewormers, may initially become sicker........from being anemic

11. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Her gums and eyelids were pink... she is wormed regularly as needed from fecal testing. I just noticed a few of the does had lice last week and started to treat the once that had them.
    Upon last fecal a month ago she was okay. Nice pink gum and eye tissue.
    I just crushed up some tums and mixed in water I am heading down now to give to her just incase it is Calcium she is needing. Will also recheck her temp?
    I usually can figure this stuff out in an instant but this has me stumped???

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow does not sound anemic at all??? ummmmm that is confusing......Is there a vet on call,,maybe ask what they think it could be ,,tell him everything you have told us and maybe your vet can tell you treatment over the phone,,,we have an excellent vet that sometimes can tell what it is just by the symtoms over the phone ,it is worth a shot......... :shrug:

If she has sub temp I would keep her in a warm place...........

13. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Okay just came back up, I have her in the kidding barn seperated from everyone else. It is warm here in the 80's, but I did slip a light coat on her for a bit.
    I gave her the tums (had to crush them and force them with water), but she actually took two leaves for me, wouldn't take nothing else, but that is a start as she wouldn't take anything all day not even her favorite animal cookies.
    Her temp was 101.2 so it is going up not down. :)
    I will call my vet, he would come right up if needed, if she seems to get any worse, believe me I will be calling if her temp drops again. That is what is scares me the most, the low temp???
    Right now I am going to go back down and try to see if she won't take some more leaves for me, and watch for signs of improvement.
    I still don't know what I am looking at here??? I hope it isn't a calcium problem or I may have a battle through her whole pregnancy. I din't know it could strike this soon... Hoping that is not it.
    I will keep everyone updated and be back on if there is any signs she is getting worse.
    Thanks for everyones help... Thank you for just being there with me through the worst of it.
    I will be in the barn for most of the night it looks like until I know we are out of the woods. :?

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :hug: Good Luck! I wish I could be of more help.

A mix that I have used to warm up a goat is a mixture of Coffee, whiskey, and karo or molasses in equal parts. 3 cc's every hour or so. I had a goat with a temp of 98 and it got his temp right up to where it should be in one dose. I have given it to pregnant does (only a little bit), but if you are worried about the whiskey you can leave it out.

Also you could try offering her some warm molasses water to drink.

She has me stumped too. :?

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    For her to go down so quickly with no sign of anemia or parasite overload is really troubling, I can offer no more than what has already been suggested and my support and prayers that she improves. :pray:

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you are very welcome :hug: Laurel_Haven...... :hug: ......I have found that the goats will eat eucalyptus leaves if you have any? But whatever leaves work ,is super.....................her temp is coming up, so that is a real good sign ,,I will pray for her.................. :pray: good luck

make sure she keeps hydrated.................

RunAround .I am stumped to................................ :shrug:

17. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Thanks so much everyone for all your well wishes. :grouphug:
    Just wanted to send a quick update about Robyn as I just came up from the barn. Her temp was 101.7 when I last checked so it is still rising thank goodness. She is eating a leaf here and there... still won't take any hay or grain as of yet. But at least she is picking at the leaves. And she is getting up to go to the bathroom now, as earlier she peed while lying down, another sign of improvement. I do think she is slowly getting better for me. I am hoping and praying so anyway. I should know more by morning.
    I have absolutely no idea what happened here and why she went down like this. I have never lost an adult and was scared to death she might be my first. I know we aren't out of the woods quite yet, but things are looking brighter. I may just have the vet pop in tomorrow to check her over and see if he can't give me any answers as to why, because I am stumped by this.
    I am going to take a nap and get up and check on her in 3 hours, I am hoping her temp is up even more by then and she wants to eat some hay for me... :)
    Thanks a bunch everyone, you helped me get through a rough night! :hug:

Tina

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She does sound to be improving....if you do have the vet come by, please let us know if he has a diagnosis. :hug:

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Tina, How is she doing now? I would give more Vit B12 to stimulate her appetite. Give her some Molasses water or water with a electrolyte in it, wether it is Gatorade, or a Revitalize or something. Offer her Oatmeal with raisins and a little molasses.
    I hope she is getting better. Prayers going outto you and her.

I know what you mean about never losing a adult goat. We lost our first adult last August to cancer at the age of 15. It was very hard.

20. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Sorry but this is going to be long... wanted to give as much detail as possible with an update on our Robyn.
    She is about the same as when I last checked in. Her temp is ranging in the 101 area, hasn’t fallen back down to 100 but nor has it hit 102. She still has no appetite , refusing everything offered to her with the exception of a few leaves here and there, NO grain, hay, treats, oatmeal… or anything else. She won’t even take water she just turns her head when anything is offered. So water with Molasses is being forced with syringe.
    She is normally a very friendly doe and yet she acts skittish and irritated by my presence. She gets up to go to use the bathroom and then lays back down. In a corner. But at least she is getting up and even walked over to the door once. I opened it to see if she wanted to walk outside but she didn’t, just turned around and layed back down. I think she was just trying to get away from me.
    Called vet at 8 am and he came up around 10:30 am to examine her. First thing he did was check her gums and noted they had a nice healthy color, so ruled out anemia. Took her temperature and got a 101.4 reading. And her ears still feel cold to the touch. So it is definitely below normalcy for her. He offered her an apple flavored horse treat that he said no horses or goats seem to ever refuse. He said he uses them to test appetite, well she turned her head at those. He checked her body all over and couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary, no swelling in kidneys, lymph nodes, no pain, nothing out of the ordinary. Checked her lungs and said he didn’t think it was pneumonia we were dealing with. Then asked me 101 questions, I did relay her recent worming with Ivomec and the Sevin dust. Although he said he couldn’t rule out an adverse reaction to it, he knows many that uses the Sevin dust 5% on there animals including cats and dogs and he has never seen a reaction with these symptoms. If it was anything it was the Ivomec she was given. I normally use SafeGuard & Valzaben, and I have used the Ivomec Plus Inject able (given orally) before, but this stuff was new and a generic version first time I used it. So he took a sample of it to have the lab look at it, along with a blood sample from Robyn. She didn’t even fight him when he withdrew the blood, usually she is quite the fighter when blood is drawn for testing. He knows that too as he is the one who usually does that. So he is going to have the lab check over her blood sample and see if any red flags pop up that may give us a clue as to what we are dealing with.
    I had just given her another Vitamin B shot, A dose of Probios, Nutri Drench, and Baking Soda about an hour before his arrival which he said was good, but he gave her an IV Saline Solution under her skin behind her neck on the back. So she has a big pouch of fluid under her skin that should absorb to keep her from getting dehydrated.
    We really don’t know what is causing this. At this point we just have to wait to see if she gets better or if she worsens with other symptoms that will make it clearer what she has. In the meantime he will rush the blood to the lab and hopefully that tells us what we are dealing with so we know how to treat this. He is going to call the moment he knows anything, and in the meantime I am to continue offering her hay, leaves, oatmeal, anything and everything. He left me a bottle of electrolyte water. Neither of us know what this is???
    The other day she was healthy and now she is down like this. She is up to date on all her immunizations, worming, and disease free. Gets minerals, fresh clean hay, and an 18% goat pellet with BOSS, and Steamed Crimped Oats added. Everyone else is healthy and happy I have around 25 does and never get one that just gets sick. We have lost babies at birth, had a really bad birthing year a few Seasons back that was hard to cope with, had a major bee attack not too long ago yet everyone survived that, an emergency here an there and suffered through a few runny noses. But nothing like this in an adult doe just out of the blue to crash on me. I couldn’t imagine losing Robyn, she was born here. I hate to say I have a favorite but if I did she would be one I would mention. I love this doe, and would be crushed if I lost her. And I hope it isn’t today if it is going to happen because I don’t want her to pass on my birthday. Yep today is my birthday, some birthday I am going to have. Oh well I am sure she didn’t plan it this way. And I am sure she will be up soon and back to her normal self… pigging out on food and wanting her head scratched. :roll:
    I will keep you updated and as soon as I have a diagnosis, I will be sure to relay it back.
    Gotta go down to the barn and sit with her, get a temp reading, and offer some oatmeal with molasses.

Tina