The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 year old doe is about 2 1/2 months along, i left Thursday and Friday for a FFA trip and came back Friday night. This morning she looked a little thin so i let her out of the goat field and let her wonder around the yard to let her eat all the weeds and grass like she likes. Then i fed the others and went to find her and she was in the empty field under the shelter walking around. So i went to give her feed and she usually gobbles it down but she just ate a little and what she did eat she chewed funny and most of it fell out her mouth.

I checked her mouth and her gums were soft but it might be because she is older? But otherwise looked fine? Her eyes are pale and im guessing since i have been fighting worms for the past few months that could be it. While i type Im mixing her up some electrolytes and water, goat power punch, and a little red cell. I haven't gave it to her yet but i thought I'd try it. Any suggestions? I read the apple cider vinegar thread and ive been trying to get someone to take me to get some since i read it the other day. So i was going to give her some when i get it. What wormer should i give her? I have valbazen which i can't give her, and i have cydectin but i wasent sure if i could give her cydectin?

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Have a fecal done first to include coccidia. You really need to know which parasites you are dealing with. Then you can treat appropriately.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i got her to eat hay and she's grazing, she ate a little handful of feed out of my hand but doesn't want it out of the bucket and would rather eat hay which is weird. Her temp is normal and the vet doesn't do fecals so I'd have to send one off.
The last test i sent off from a different goat 6 weeks ago came back as barpole over load but i haven't had a problem in about 5 weeks. She doesn't act like she feels bad she's just not as happy to see her feed like usual?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok just making sure haha. She seems fine now maybe it was just morning sickness :p jk lol. Ill keep a close eye on her though. :)

·
2,203 Posts
Did you work everybody for BPW? Please check for external parasites as well. Lice, mites, fleas, ticks.

Consider milk fever?

Rumen sounds good?

Eyes bright and clear?

Udder still ok?

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
I would give her Thiamine or Fortified B complex..her wandering makes me think Polio...when treating for Polio we also treat for listeriosis since they both have simular symtoms..you can try the Thiamine first see if she improves, if not add Pencicllin at large doses per this article..to treat for listeriosis
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html
for wormer:
I would use Ivomec Plus...Barpole eggs and liver fluke eggs look very simiular and are often mistaken for each other..Ivomec plus and Valabazen are the only wormers for liver fluke..1 cc per 40# sub Q

If she is pale..Red Cell, Vit B 12 and ACV are a great support as she rebuilds her red blood cells...
Red cell is 6 ccper 100# daily for a week then once a week until good color returns
B 12 is 4 cc per 100# daily
AVC is 20 cc of a 50/50 ACV/water mix daily

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you work everybody for BPW? Please check for external parasites as well. Lice, mites, fleas, ticks.

Consider milk fever?

Rumen sounds good?

Eyes bright and clear?

Udder still ok?
BPW? Sorry im still a newbie...

She doesn't have fleas, tics, or mites but i have no idea what lice looks like, i don't really see anything on her.

Her rumen sounds fine, eyes are bright, and her udder is growing evenly looks great its not fevered or anything.

I gave her the water and electrolytes, mixed with the red cell and power punch. About 20 ccs at a time through out the day though there was only 5 ccs of red cell and 2 ccs of power punch in the whole mix the rest was just the electrolyte water. She slurped it right up. She was fine tonight when i put her up and followed me right to the field to be put up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would give her Thiamine or Fortified B complex..her wandering makes me think Polio...when treating for Polio we also treat for listeriosis since they both have simular symtoms..you can try the Thiamine first see if she improves, if not add Pencicllin at large doses per this article..to treat for listeriosis
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html
for wormer:
I would use Ivomec Plus...Barpole eggs and liver fluke eggs look very simiular and are often mistaken for each other..Ivomec plus and Valabazen are the only wormers for liver fluke..1 cc per 40# sub Q

If she is pale..Red Cell, Vit B 12 and ACV are a great support as she rebuilds her red blood cells...
Red cell is 6 ccper 100# daily for a week then once a week until good color returns
B 12 is 4 cc per 100# daily
AVC is 20 cc of a 50/50 ACV/water mix daily
I don't think she was wandering, but ive never had a goat with polio so i dont know what to look for, she's never been one to care much about being left alone. While the others would pitch a fit with just being on the opposite side of the fence, but she does her own little thing. The field she was in was one that they had been in a few weeks ago and i switch them back and to every now and then to let the grass grow back, so it wasn't just a random field. And it has been hot so i was wondering if she was just getting out of the sun?

Locals have been telling me ivermectin dosent work here but I've never tried it and have heard good results from everyone else. The only bottles i can find are big jugs of it that are really pricey, i only have 7 goats too, do they sell smaller containers of it online or somewhere?

I have b complex but ive been meaning to ask what b 12 is? I sent someone to Walmart today for acv but they said "they couldn't find it" lets just say i was pretty upset lol.

Ivermectin is ok for pregnant does right? I know valbazen isn't so i wanted to be sure.

Thank you everyone for helping. :)

·
2,203 Posts
BPW

Barber pole worms

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Yes you can order ivomec plus from Jeffers in smaller bottles...Do get the "plus" since it also takes care of Liver fluke..and yes its safe for pregnant does..I have used it many times..what I understand is that because liver fluke and Barpole worm eggs looks so simluar..its often confused as barpole, when in fact they goat has liver fluke..They give Ivomec and it doesnt work so they think Ivomec has stop working in their area...when only Valbazen and Ivomec PLUS kill liver fluke...the plus in Ivomec is clorsulon, which is the medication that kills the liver fluke..
Polio is Thiamine (B 1) deficiency....they can act disorieted, drunk, stagger, wander with no direction, Star gaze ect...if you read the tenn meat goat article I posted a link to,,it gives a good discription....
When a goat is off to herself, she usually doesnt feel well. Hoepfully she is feeling better now
Best wishes : )

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's an update on my little girl. Im needing some advice... She's been eating her feed again but her eyes are still pink, her manure is a little soft (not runny but not firm pellets, dog poopish)and she's still down a pound or 2, not much but I want her to be in top form for when the babies get here. She's in a field by herself with her buddies in the field beside her, with hay at all times and 1 cup of feed in the morning and 1 at night but she just eats it when she feels like it though.

What is safe to give her and how much is too much? I have her this, this weekend but stopped and im going to give her more tomorrow if yall approve, i just want to be sure im not making it worse.

- 2cc goats prefer power punch
- 5cc red cell
- 20cc electrolyte powder mixed with water
- water mixed in when mix got low

I gave it to her a little bit at a time through out the day... Should i give more or less? Add anything to it or stop giving her anything?

I thought about adding probiotic paste, b complex (shot), or anything yall can think of that would help. What do yall think?

I also have no idea on wormers, i ordered in some ivomec plus and it should be here tomorrow or Friday. What is the dosage and is it a shot or oral, I've heard both?

Thank you for any and all answers. I thought having a pregnant doe would be the same, but im on high alert about every little thing, this weekend i couldn't sleep and probably checked on her 5 times in the middle of the night haha. I can't even imagine how stressed ill be when she gets close to kidding lol.

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
I wouldnt give grain until she is pooping berries...add quality alfalfa or alfalfa pellets to her graze and hay
Red cell should be given once a day for a week then once a week there after until you see good color in her lids
Electrolytes never hurt, be sure to have freshwater fro her to choose as well
Apple cider vinegar 50/50 with water dose her 20 cc once a day..
B complex is always a help during stressful times
Probios is a good idea as well...

Ivomec plus is 1 cc per 40# sub Q..I give this where the neck meets the body..my goats seem to react less to the sting...Just lift a tent and go for it..

Here is a home made electrolyte recipe that she might like..and cheaper than store bought :)

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses (or what ever molasses you have or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts