The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby Buck (born in Feb I believe) is not doing well. Everyone else in the herd is healthy and energetic. I was on a trip this weekend and my farm-sitter called me, (she does not own goats, but all my other farm-sitters were busy) she told me he was just standing in the pen shaking, not going under the shelter, and being super lethargic. She did everything I told her to do. Then just came home today and he's doing much worse, not moving, (I had to pull him up) and when I let go of his collar he just laid back down. He drank some electrolyte water I made him, and did eat some animal crackers, although not much interested in food. Scouring a lot so hoping to get some Pro-Bac-C today (all out) and, considering deworming him because he's looking a little anemic now. Any suggestions, or anything please! What could be going on? he's great goat, and so sweet/friendly, plus he's got nice lines I was hoping to use on my herd. Help!

And His Temp: 103.2

·
Super Moderator
82,486 Posts
Get a fecal for worms and cocci right away. Have a rush on it.
That will tell you what to treat for.
So you do not waste your time guessing.

If you give Ivomec injectble and he is super anemic and not at borderline minimum, give it SQ.
That is if he shows worms in fecal, in which it may treat.
If given orally and anemic, he may bleed out, from all the worms letting go on the stomach wall.

His temp is normal ,that is good.

Horse red sell for anemia, 6 cc's per 100 lbs daily for 1 week, then 1 x a week thereafter, unless at anytime it goes back to famancha chart borderline safe at minimum, then stop, then and there.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
This sounds critical. When you say "a little anemic" - how pale? Can you grade it on the FAMACHA scale?

It really sounds like you need to act fast. Determining if this is parasites is the first step. When was the last time he was dewormed? Which dewormers do you have on hand?

Right now I would put him in a pen so he others goats can't steal his food. Put buckets of plain water and electrolytes right in front of him. Offer leafy branches or pine boughs, good hay right within reach so he can eat freely.

Give him a B-Complex injection.
Do you have Red Cell or injectable iron on hand?

Is he boney and underweight?

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Get a fecal for worms and cocci right away. Have a rush on it.
That will tell you what to treat for.
So you do not waste your time guessing.

If you give Ivomec injectble and he is super anemic and not at borderline minimum, give it SQ.
That is if he shows worms in fecal, in which it may treat.
If given orally and anemic, he may bleed out, from all the worms letting go on the stomach wall.

His temp is normal ,that is good.

Horse red sell for anemia, 6 cc's per 100 lbs daily for 1 week, then 1 x a week thereafter, unless at anytime it goes back to famancha chart borderline safe at minimum, then stop, then and there.
I k ow she needs to get the fecal asap rushed..... but what about tryin scour halt on him too?.... after she gathers to unmedicated poop for the fecal. Just a thought that popped in my brain cell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts