The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my sick wether, Bailey B.
He has had trouble with scouring for a long time. We have sent in numerous fecal samples in the past, all negative. However, The vet will never tell us egg count or what parasites were present, just Positive and negative. We have since found much better vets. He was doing better for a long time however lately he has been having more scouring. Tomorrow i hope to get a fecal sample in, but because it's a holiday weekend i'm not sure if i can. He is scouring pretty bad today and he sounds a bit congested. His temp was 102.6 and i am going to keep checking to make sure he doesn't develop a fever. I generally take him on a walk around the yard every day, and today he didn't really want to. He always wants to go on a walk so it worries me that he did not. He has some nasal discharge going on, and he sounds a big congested. He is acting okay now, he is eating his hay good. Earlier he seemed a little depressed. I gave him some probios. I could give him some pepto, but i'm not sure if i should.
If anyone has any advice i'd appreciate it.
I know he isn't extremely sick but hes my baby so i want to take care of it before it gets worse.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He hasn't been wormed this month. last time he was wormed was a few months back with Ivomec. If thinking if i can get a fecal done tomorrow then i would wait to worm him till i know what we are dealing with. I have a new tube of Ivomec for horses if you think i should give that now though. I need to worm my horse anyway (he is dewormed bi-annually).

· Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,806 Posts
what are you feeding him? If the vets are not finding much parasite activity, then its got to be something else. Might be something you are feeding or he is eating that isnt agreeing with him. Cocci, as mentioned is a must to check for as well.

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
I agree...get that fecal....Pepto wil be fine if he is runny...same as a human dose...

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because he had cocci as a kid, i'm thinking that could be a big part of it.
But what about the coughing? Lungworms? All the other goats are fine, and he hasn't been to any shows (I use him for showmanship cause hes my bud ).

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
you can test at home for lung worms...here is goathikers method

take a a poop sample and wrap in a square of guaze, twist it tight and float it in water over night...if he has lung worms you will see worms or larve' floating in the water..if he does have lung worms treat with ivomec

Cocci as a kid can cause scaring in the intestines and keep food from absorbing well...I would keep him on a quality grass hay and graze diet and loose minerals, no grain which is hard to digest...
I have heard about a GI soother here many times..maybe some one can pipe in on that..but it sounds like it might be helpful for him...

Pepto is safe for him to have when he has a round of runs...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.