Sick Wethers loosing weight

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Faith, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Faith

Faith New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    I am new here. I have 3 goats, Nubian mom and her two babies, who are now 2 years old and not babies. This winter it got down to -30 and everybody was miserable. And the goats stopped eating much of anything for a few days. They lost a a lot of wieght, especially since they were kinda fat to being with.

So started giving them more grain, which they don't eat. And some nicer alfalfa grass hay which they didn't touch. They drink, but not a lot. I wormed last with Ivermectin 2-3 weeks ago.

I thought spring and the warm weather would make them their usual wild selves again, but it hasn't. They lay around most the day, they eat, but not their usual. Typically they are finding escape routes to get to the new buds on the trees and playing 24/7 and eating like pigs. Instead they are sleeping.

Zecilly (mom 7 y.o.) has put back on most her weight, her coat is beautiful, she is eating the best and acting her usual self, which is not as wild as the boys, but active.

But both boys are still very thin, haven't put on a pound, and are lazing around all day. Usually by now Two is pulling cart and One is escaping daily to destroy a tree, and they are hardly even leaving the barn.

My vet isn't much concerned and said she'd give me some stuff for their stomachs. Any ideas? What is wrong with them? What should I do?

2. Faith

Faith New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    I forgot to say, I checked their eyelid color and Zecilly and One are decent, and Two is just a shade pale. No tempereature, solid poo, urinating, and don't seem sore or injured anywhere.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first off I want to say Welcome to The Goat Spot!! :wave:

And I really need to think on this a bit, I am not sure what to advise as this seems like it has been an ongoing problem

I would first get a fecal done on them. Take a stool sample from the worse goat and take to the vet. Have them look for worms and cocci. We just need to rule it out. Not always do they get white and have the runs when overloaded with either.

I have a doe that gets anemic all the time I am currently giving her iron shots - her poops are normal berries and she acts fine.

If I think of anything else I will add it here.

How long has this been that they have been acting this way, a couple weeks or months?

4. Faith

Faith New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    They all started loosing weight and acting wierd about mid Jan-early Feb when we got the really super cold nasty weather. -30 and wind chill, with a couple feet of snow. Both my horses slowed down eating and everybody hid in the barn for 3-4 weeks during that.

When that was over, Zecilly started perking back up, wormed everybody, and by the end of March-early April Zecilly was back to normal wieght and acting fine. All my animals have come back to being healthy and happy. Except the two boys, who are still thin and puny.

I've talked to a few friends who said their goats also lost a good bunch of weight during that nasty weather, but now they are all back to normal like Zecilly.

Tuesday I am taking in a fecal, and I am planning to bring Two (since he has lost the msot weight and is the palest) in with me to show the vet. She's a friend of mine and knows my goats are fat and onrey, so seeing him so thin she will surely understand something is wrong with him.

5. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I was just reading a section in my goat book an thought of your thread right away. This might be worth asking the Vet about. But it says that Johne's Disease is a wasting disease. According to the book I have the goats become infected at or around birth but don't show symptoms for 1 and a half to two years. It says that the usually the only symptoms are weightloss and gradual loss of condition. Other than that there isn't much information.

Hope this helps even it it just eliminates a possabilty.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    No temperatures? Or any other signs other than weight loss and lack of energy? Breathing difficulties?
    If none, maybe trying a course of vitamin supplements. It's the only thing I can think of exept getting them to new growth for browse. Anything that would perk up their appetites.

Good luck with the vet- I hope you can figure this out.

Brrrr- I whine when it gets to 25 here.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Where do you live at?

Johnes could be a possibility, they are at the right age, but with Johnes, it is complete wasting, you can see every bone in their bodies and they assimilate no food. Are you feeding good minerals? Sometimes if their mineral balance is out of wack, they can't properly assimilate the minerals they need.

8. Faith

Faith New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    I live up in Northwest Indiana. We had an awful winter and a miserable spring, it is just the last few weeks started being remotely nice.

They dropped the weight really fast, when the cold stuff hit. They've stayed at that skinny weight since, and maybe gained a little back. But they haven't bounced back like Zecilly, or like any of my friends goats have. No breathing difficaulties. Weight loss and no energy are the only things I can find wrong with them.

I looked up Johne's (and besides being upset it isn't treatable :cry: ) they aren't eating with their usual apetite, and they aren't continuing to thin down. They have gained back a small amount, but their apetites are still bad and so they are gaining it back extremely slowly.

Vitamins/minerals may be part of it, because like I said they didn't leave there corner of the barn for a couple weeks. I hauled food and water to their little hole in the straw. So I doubt they came out for minerals. And since there apetites are so *blah* they haven't been eating their goat food like they usually do. And they didn't want the really good hay either. So they may very easily be difficiant in something. Maybe even Vit. D since they haven't been out all winter. How do I find out what they need? Or get their appetite's up to eat it?

Here is a picture of them when they were almost 1 y.o. Zecilly (mom) is on the left, and is at that current weight now. Both boys are now taller then her, but currently much thinner. Usually they are chunks. One is black, Two is brown/white. I know, silly names, guess which order they were born. :roll:

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Pretty faces :)

What kind of minerals are you feeding? Like I said, if they are imbalanced that could be the culprit.

Also, if you are interested, I am a dealer for a feed supplement called Fastrack, its helps them to assimilate what they are eating better and helps their rumens. If you are interested, email me at goathappy@gmail.com it costs I *think*(I'll look it up) around $25 for a 5 lb bag and you give them 1-2 tbsp once or twice a day.

10. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    I agree with enjoytheride. When ever my goats are off i go through my checklist.
    1. Are their buckets and dishes clean?
    2. Is their pen smelling of ammonia? (we have dirt floors so even the slightest hint and mine go off)
    3. When were they wormed last? (check for paleness)
    4. when did they last have their vitamins and electrolytes?(We put them in their water every monday and more often in extreme weather, illness or any kind of stress.

I'm sure you pens are clean as well as your waterers. These are some of the things on my own personal "goats for dummies list" that i use since we are new at it.

You can get the vitamins and electrolytes with probiotics in it from Jeffers. It always seems to perk them up and they like it. I hope your babies are feeling better soon. I know how hard it is to see them down.

Gina