The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old goat that is anemic and very thin. I have checked fecals and all are neg.In may she started loosing weight and has never recoverd. I noticed today she is having trouble urinating. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
worm load is the number one cause for anemia..even if the fecal came back normal I would treat for worm load..sometimes a deeper look is needed through a lab but we dont always have the luxury of time...I suggest Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q OR Valabzen 1 cc per 10# orally..3 times 10 days a part then again in 30 days..the anemia and loss of condition warrents action even if the fecal came back normal .
As for the urination problem, she may not be hydrated enough..I would fix her some electroyletes and encourage her to drink more..
I would also begin red cell daily for one week then once a week there after until she has a good pink coming through her lids..and vit. B 12 shots, increase protien through feed and/or hay source, offer green leaves from trees..she needs this to help rebuild her red blood cells..B omplex and porbios to help her as well..

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses ( or what you have or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Have you had her tested for Johnes? How was the fecal test done? Was coccidia part of the fecal check?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the fecal at home float test. Was neg. wanted to double check so took a. Sample to a be. He found it to be neg as well for worms and cocci. Never been checked for jhones.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Here is a link on Johnes symptoms..
http://www.johnes.org/goats/faqs.html#3

On the Anemia..Unless she has somehting else going on Johnes does not expain the anemia..Blood loss is the only explaination..through Parasites, Internal injury,internal bleeding from poisoning...I would take a good look around for any plants she may have eaten, I bet Goathiker can give a few ideas of which plants to look for...I personally would still treat for worms..in her condition it wont hurt and may help...I would startt he red cell and Vit. B 12 shots and increase her protien intake some how, either through higher protien feed or other sources..At east this will help her from getting worse until its figured out whats going on....Best wishes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts