Sickening

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Jan 14, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Came across something that made my stomach turn this evening.

If I'd had a gun and knew how to use it I think I would have euthanased an animal myself for the first time. Everytime I've needed one put down there has always been brother, father, boyfriend, vet to do it for me.

Was driving home and passing through the little town before mine, and there was this sheep trotting along heading for the highway and the railway. I thought, thats not good so I stopped and got him turned around heading back into the quiet part of town, right along the house and paddock that I thought he came from.

Well, at first I thought he was wearing a pink eye patch, but when I got closer to him, I got all the way up and realised he had what I THINK was severe cancer eye. The whole side of his face was black with sort of disintegrating flesh and the eye itself was just a black mass about the side of a baseball. You couldnt make out eyelids, eyeball or anything. That whole side of his face was a rotting, oozing mess. It appear to be paralysed kindof cos his lip on that side was hanging right down. Keep in mind I havent ever dealt with cancer eye personally except when it is at the dot on the third eyelid stage, but I have a feeling that is what this was.

I was about to take a photo on my phone to show you guys but he took off and I didnt manage to get in front of him again.

I wish I'd been able to put him out of his misery.

2. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    that is really sad. I would have shot him too. Poor guy

3. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Goodness, that sounds horrible! That poor sheep :tears: I can't believe his owner hasn't already done something about it :angry:

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    It was probably from a large farm or something, HollowBeadRanch. I know my neighbours just leave their animals to die when they're sick :shrug:

Something that if I had a large farm I dont think I could EVER do!

5. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yeah, I don't think I would be able to do that either :sigh:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :worried: poor thing. did it look like it was in pain? you could always call the animal control to catch it a euthanize it, way better than dying on the side of the road.

7. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    Aww poor thing, that's so sad :tears:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    How terribly sad for that poor sheep. :(

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If people can not take care of animals then why the HE** do they have them????? Poor thing.

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    weevil, I'm pretty sure he was from a little hobby flock in town that has like 12 sheep.

And even if he was from one of the big flocks around here with like 6000 sheep, those farmers muster their sheep AT LEAST once a year, most do it every six months or more frequently, and this would have been going on for two years or so. There's no excuse, they should have seen it.

AB, animal control here wouldnt have done anything

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    mmm Keren I know, they probably saw it. If it was from a big flock though, I mean that probably they saw it and couldnt be bothered... heck that's what the farmers around here do - they KNOW there's a problem. And too true, there's no excuse!!!

13. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I've seen a cow with that same description being sold at auction to go into our food supply (I only eat my own beef that I raise now).

But you shoot somebody's stock and in this day and age you'd probably have to pay full market price for it if you were caught. Our food system really needs an overhaul. Animals shouldn't have to suffer needlessly so somebody can try and make a buck. :veryangry:

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I saw him again, same spot today. Would have caught him but no room in the truck (full of pellets). Went home (5 min down the road), unloaded truck, got camera, went back, couldnt find the little snot. I'm going to put in a call to the RSPCA tomorrow since the sheep obviously isnt being treated.

15. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    hopefully you will drive past again and maybe catch him.

and Yeah call the rspca and they should do something about it :)