The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help, I'm new to goat illnesses. I got this girl and her brother (?) from auction a few days ago. I could tell immediately when I picked her up at the sell barn that she was very underweight. I read that oats help and I had some instant oats on hand, so I've been adding that to her food. I wonder if I messed up because she has diarrhea. It's getting cold outside and I'm worried for her.

I've got her in a spare unfinished bedroom. The bedroom is a little chilly because I want to be able to put her outside at some point, but I'm not against having her in all winter if I have to. She's eating okay, so I gave her wormer pellets. What else should I do? I could Google, but it seems urgent enough to require experienced minds.

The boy is looking fine, but not eating or drinking. He's a little plump, but I wouldn't say he looks bloated. Maybe he's just full from this morning, but I find it unlikely since all the other goats are eating their evening meal. Would oats hurt him? View attachment 241403
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Fawn
Gesture Finger Ear Fawn Whiskers
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

· Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
9,014 Posts
Its so hard to tell. I would get a rectal temp on each one. 101° to 103° is what it should be. Then a poop sample to a vet. They can tell you what worms the little ones have, and what dewormer you need. Or if they have cocci, what meds you need for
those. I feed mine grain. I really like goat grower at Tractor Supply. And a bag of goat minerals are there also.

· Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
Yup..let's do a complete check up..temp, famacha, rumen noise and movement, look them over closely for lice...a fecal would be ideal.
For tonight, i would give a b complex shot and probiotics. No feed while she has the poops. Hay, safe leaves and browse food and alfalfa. Electrolytes and water so they can choose. We can work on weight as they beggin to feel good...

Best wishes

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its so hard to tell. I would get a rectal temp on each one. 101° to 103° is what it should be. Then a poop sample to a vet. They can tell you what worms the little ones have, and what dewormer you need. Or if they have cocci, what meds you need for
those. I feed mine grain. I really like goat grower at Tractor Supply. And a bag of goat minerals are there also.
I've got them on the Walmart 16% goat grain, I just added some oats to it because I wanted her to gain weight. But I think I'll stop adding the oats because she doesn't seem to appreciate them anyway, she leaves them behind. Next time I will grab some grower. DeeDee ate up all her wormer though and her temperature is 101.4, so that makes me happy. Dunkin's temp is 103.6, so he seems to be okay in that department also, I think.

I'll bring a fecal to the vet tomorrow. Thanks for the advice :)

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup..let's do a complete check up..temp, famacha, rumen noise and movement, look them over closely for lice...a fecal would be ideal.
For tonight, i would give a b complex shot and probiotics. No feed while she has the poops. Hay, safe leaves and browse food and alfalfa. Electrolytes and water so they can choose. We can work on weight as they beggin to feel good...

Best wishes
Okay. I tried checking her famancha and it's really hard with how skinny she is. It looked to be pinkish, but not dark pink. Her temp is 101.4, and I checked her over for lice/mites when I first got her because she had black specks all over her but didn't see any actual bugs of any sort and nothing crawls on me when I've been in contact with her. I think the specks was just dirt. I could treat her anyway if it won't tax her system.

I'm going to go give her Vitamin B, electrolytes, and probiotics. Thank you for the help!

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I've got them on the Walmart 16% goat grain, I just added some oats to it because I wanted her to gain weight. But I think I'll stop adding the oats because she doesn't seem to appreciate them anyway, she leaves them behind. Next time I will grab some grower. DeeDee ate up all her wormer though and her temperature is 101.4, so that makes me happy. Dunkin's temp is 103.6, so he seems to be okay in that department also, I think.

I'll bring a fecal to the vet tomorrow. Thanks for the advice :)
I would give at least her redcell for 5days. On the oats I feed mine whole grain oats. I read quick oats are not the best. I put some in a bowl add a dash of hot water so they are a little warm. You could always see if they like molasses if so add some to the oats. Dissolve molasses in the hot water and add to oats
whole grain is what I use. You can get them at Walmart.
And follow the the the advice of two of our best. Good luck.
I will be praying for your new goats. Prayers anytime just let me know.🙏💚
Ingredient Food Fluid Drink Cuisine

· Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
To check famacha, I put my thumb on the eye brow bone..with gentle pressure I slide the top lid over the eye ball while rolling out the bottle lid in one swoop. Decide her score quickly as the longer membrane is exposed the deeper red it becomes. Also do in good sunlite. From what is showing in the pic..doesn't look too bad. A fecal is best for a good check up. Meadowmistlabs.com is pretty inexpensive and will email you the results.
Temp is just a tad low. 101 5 to 193.5 is nitnal range..but if she was resting could drop a bit. Best to get her up and moving a little then take it.
Whole oats is best when you want to introduce grain. Or a good quality pellet feed for goats. 14% -16% is good protien. Uou can add a drizzle of ex. Virgin olive oil for added fats. A tablespoon worth should help. It takes alot longer for them to gain weight then loose it. Again. No feed while poops. Once she berries up..introduce feed choice slowly. A little to start and increase to proper portion through out a week's time at least. If poop gets soft..go slower.
A good brushing reveals much. Lice Ted to scatter or come to the surface. Helps to see them if they are there. I wouldnt treat for them unless you know she has them. Her system is already compromised. Signs of lice, even if you don't see the bug can be..nibble marks..where she's scratched her fur with her mouth, .fur may feel like cotton and be fuzzy, she may be scratching alot..

· Registered
1,115 Posts
To check famacha, I put my thumb on the eye brow bone..with gentle pressure I slide the top lid over the eye ball while rolling out the bottle lid in one swoop. Decide her score quickly as the longer membrane is exposed the deeper red it becomes. Also do in good sunlite. From what is showing in the pic..doesn't look too bad. A fecal is best for a good check up. Meadowmistlabs.com is pretty inexpensive and will email you the results.
Temp is just a tad low. 101 5 to 193.5 is nitnal range..but if she was resting could drop a bit. Best to get her up and moving a little then take it.
Whole oats is best when you want to introduce grain. Or a good quality pellet feed for goats. 14% -16% is good protien. Uou can add a drizzle of ex. Virgin olive oil for added fats. A tablespoon worth should help. It takes alot longer for them to gain weight then loose it. Again. No feed while poops. Once she berries up..introduce feed choice slowly. A little to start and increase to proper portion through out a week's time at least. If poop gets soft..go slower.
A good brushing reveals much. Lice Ted to scatter or come to the surface. Helps to see them if they are there. I wouldnt treat for them unless you know she has them. Her system is already compromised. Signs of lice, even if you don't see the bug can be..nibble marks..where she's scratched her fur with her mouth, .fur may feel like cotton and be fuzzy, she may be scratching alot..
103 not 193. I hate when my fingers don't behave.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for all the helpful information. I will grab some whole grain oats, olive oil, and red cell while I'm out tomorrow. I've got some molasses and I'll try that when I next give her some oats. I really appreciate the time and prayers <3

· Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
Oh my..fat fingers hit again lol. 101.5 to 103.5

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Thank you guys for all the helpful information. I will grab some whole grain oats, olive oil, and red cell while I'm out tomorrow. I've got some molasses and I'll try that when I next give her some oats. I really appreciate the time and prayers <3
I will pray anytime for practically anything. Just ask .
My goats don't like molasses so you might want to check first 🙏💚

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How are they now??
Dunkin is back outside and acting completely normal. DeeDee is still very thin, but doesn't seem to have diarrhea anymore. She's been firming up real nice, and my daughter sprung on me that she is moving back in, so I put DeeDee back outside last night and kept checking on her.

I just found her laying down when I went to give them their evening meal. So, I brought her back in. She keeps stretching, then right after she sucks her sides in and arches her back like she's wanting to poop or something. She isn't eating or drinking right now, but she's up and walking around my house. She's the most lovable thing. Think I'll try some more probiotics and alfalfa. I just really want her to be okay.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Dunkin is back outside and acting completely normal. DeeDee is still very thin, but doesn't seem to have diarrhea anymore. She's been firming up real nice, and my daughter sprung on me that she is moving back in, so I put DeeDee back outside last night and kept checking on her.

I just found her laying down when I went to give them their evening meal. So, I brought her back in. She keeps stretching, then right after she sucks her sides in and arches her back like she's wanting to poop or something. She isn't eating or drinking right now, but she's up and walking around my house. She's the most lovable thing. Think I'll try some more probiotics and alfalfa. I just really want her to be okay.
You could give her healthy fats like olive oil. Did you try the warm oats?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts