The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help, I'm new to goat illnesses. I got this girl and her brother (?) from auction a few days ago. I could tell immediately when I picked her up at the sell barn that she was very underweight. I read that oats help and I had some instant oats on hand, so I've been adding that to her food. I wonder if I messed up because she has diarrhea. It's getting cold outside and I'm worried for her.

I've got her in a spare unfinished bedroom. The bedroom is a little chilly because I want to be able to put her outside at some point, but I'm not against having her in all winter if I have to. She's eating okay, so I gave her wormer pellets. What else should I do? I could Google, but it seems urgent enough to require experienced minds.

The boy is looking fine, but not eating or drinking. He's a little plump, but I wouldn't say he looks bloated. Maybe he's just full from this morning, but I find it unlikely since all the other goats are eating their evening meal. Would oats hurt him? View attachment 241403
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Fawn
Gesture Finger Ear Fawn Whiskers
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its so hard to tell. I would get a rectal temp on each one. 101° to 103° is what it should be. Then a poop sample to a vet. They can tell you what worms the little ones have, and what dewormer you need. Or if they have cocci, what meds you need for
those. I feed mine grain. I really like goat grower at Tractor Supply. And a bag of goat minerals are there also.
I've got them on the Walmart 16% goat grain, I just added some oats to it because I wanted her to gain weight. But I think I'll stop adding the oats because she doesn't seem to appreciate them anyway, she leaves them behind. Next time I will grab some grower. DeeDee ate up all her wormer though and her temperature is 101.4, so that makes me happy. Dunkin's temp is 103.6, so he seems to be okay in that department also, I think.

I'll bring a fecal to the vet tomorrow. Thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup..let's do a complete check up..temp, famacha, rumen noise and movement, look them over closely for lice...a fecal would be ideal.
For tonight, i would give a b complex shot and probiotics. No feed while she has the poops. Hay, safe leaves and browse food and alfalfa. Electrolytes and water so they can choose. We can work on weight as they beggin to feel good...

Best wishes
Okay. I tried checking her famancha and it's really hard with how skinny she is. It looked to be pinkish, but not dark pink. Her temp is 101.4, and I checked her over for lice/mites when I first got her because she had black specks all over her but didn't see any actual bugs of any sort and nothing crawls on me when I've been in contact with her. I think the specks was just dirt. I could treat her anyway if it won't tax her system.

I'm going to go give her Vitamin B, electrolytes, and probiotics. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for all the helpful information. I will grab some whole grain oats, olive oil, and red cell while I'm out tomorrow. I've got some molasses and I'll try that when I next give her some oats. I really appreciate the time and prayers <3

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How are they now??
Dunkin is back outside and acting completely normal. DeeDee is still very thin, but doesn't seem to have diarrhea anymore. She's been firming up real nice, and my daughter sprung on me that she is moving back in, so I put DeeDee back outside last night and kept checking on her.

I just found her laying down when I went to give them their evening meal. So, I brought her back in. She keeps stretching, then right after she sucks her sides in and arches her back like she's wanting to poop or something. She isn't eating or drinking right now, but she's up and walking around my house. She's the most lovable thing. Think I'll try some more probiotics and alfalfa. I just really want her to be okay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You can drench them or a small syringe at the back corner of her mouth slowly making sure she swallows. You can give them warm it might bring her temp up s bit and injectable b complex. B complex could get her to eat.
The electrolytes may make her feel better. Is she drinking.? My goats drink them right up out of a bowl. You can also make a lil molasses and warm water for goat tea. All these can be drenched or with a syringe. I'm really trying to think of things to hydrate her.
Goats get dehydrated quickly. 😊
She's not drinking, but I'll try some molasses water in a syringe and see how that goes. I had a horrifying thought, and I don't know enough to know if it's even a concern... but is it possible that she's been bred? When I Google stretching and arching, 90% of the results are about goat labor. She's in front of the space heater now and has been laying down for a good 25 minutes or so, but before that it was just up, stretch, arch, down, up, stretch, arch, down... She has all small teeth, so she must be very young still, I'm guessing 7-8 months (?). Just wondering if it should be on my radar. She hasn't pooped or peed since coming in the house a couple hours ago either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
🤦‍♀️
Thank you so much, Penguingirl :)

As it turns out, I'm an idiot. I always wondered how people could miss something so blatantly obvious and I am now one of those people. Guy at the auction said DeeDee was a doe and I just assumed he knew what he was saying. I checked the temperature rectally TWICE, and still managed to miss the fact that DeeDee is a wether. So now I'm thinking Urinary calculi. Which makes a lot more sense, since I had him on sweet feed to fatten him up. 🤦‍♀️ Ugh!

I'm trying to give him a molasses, probiotic, red cell concoction, but I managed to ruin the only syringe I had left, and everything leaks out of it. He's up and walking around, but now I'm freaking out because I know urinary calculi is bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sometimes you have to cut off the pizzel, the hair at the end of his manhood. Never done it but it popped in my head. Oh man that sounded bad. ☺
Oh, gosh. I hope not, but I will if I must. I have some minerals with ammonia chloride in it, I've swished that in some water and got a milky gray liquid. I don't know how much if any ammonia chloride is in the liquid, so I mixed that with some citric acid and I'm giving him some little by little with my junky syringe. I wish he'd just eat. I'll check the stores tomorrow and get a new syringe. 🤞

Side note: my daughter refuses to let me rename him. He's only had the name for a few days, lol. But we don't rename animals, so she won't let me do it. So, he is forever more DeeDee 🤦‍♀️😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oh my.. don't feel bad. My husband ince brought home a load of ladies lol. When he unloaded them...they all stop to pee ..up...all wethers lol.
Have you seen him pee?
For UC you can try very warm compresses and massaging the sheath to see if that helps him pee.
Not once since he's been inside, it's been like 3 hours. Thank you, I'll try that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Treatment: Ammonium Chloride for UC:
Dosage 1 (one) teaspoon per 75 lb of AC powder added to 20cc of water and drench every 12 hours for 2 (two) days. Then the dosage is reduced to 1/2 teaspoon per 75 lb of AC powder added to 20 cc of water and drench every 12 hours for 3 (three) days. Then the dosage is reduced to 1/4 teaspoon per 75 lb of AC powder added to 20cc of water and drench daily as a preventative.

Fruit Fresh Emergency Treatment for UC
Fruit Fresh is a product used in preserving produce, also a source of ascorbic and citrus acids. This treatment may be used until Ammonium Chloride can be obtained.
1 teaspoon fruit fresh and 2000mg Vitamin C (4 (four) 500mg Vitamin C tablets crushed into powder)
Mix the Fruit Fresh and Vitamin C together and add just enough water to dissolve the powders and become a drench. This is to be given every 4 hours, until Ammonium Chloride can be obtained.

There is not enough AC in the minerals to be effective and I'm concerned the extra salt will make him extremely thirsty. Until he begins to urinate on his own, the last thing he needs is to consume large amount of water to prevent the bladder from overfilling to bursting.

I personally know of a situation where the owner was examining the sheath and trying to extend the penis. During this process, small squirts of urine came out. She literally "milked" out the urine until there was no more coming out and proceeded from there with the AC treatment.
I've looked for AC before when I was worried about UC, and couldn't find it. I checked every aisle. Our Tractor Supply and Agway never have anything that I look for. But I am going to Walmart and will look for the Vitamin C and Fruit Fresh, I know I've seen something like that in the canning aisle.

He has finally pooped, and it was all berries. The diarrhea is completely gone. He's not fighting me much on anything, he's a super affectionate and mellow guy. So, I have hope that he will let me get in there and help him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I need some help. I'm looking to see if I can help massage and gently coerce anything out, but I can't find his sheath anywhere. It's like it doesn't exist. I'm feeling, even deeply so, all the area between his pee opening and his anus and feel almost nothing. If I have him upright, I almost feel something like an empty tube, but it's like he doesn't have a penis in there. It feels like an artery or something, I'm so confused. I tried massaging it and bringing it up and out, but I really don't think it's his penis. Every video and photo I'm seeing there's an obvious sheath, but I'm lost.
Cloud Purple Jaw Textile Gesture

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Ok, that looks more like a navel. Can you take a picture of the goats back end with its tail up? Please
It seemed like an opening for something, it was pink and moist inside, but the opening was very tight. He finally peed though, it was such a relief. Almost 24 hours and he finally peed!!! Sorry about the blur, and the poo.

Feather Beak Plant Fawn Wing

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Do you have a feed store? Mine is open short hrs on Sunday.
We have Tractor Supply and Agway, we also have Paris Farmer's Union. I live in Central Maine, I'm not sure what else we have. But when he peed, it was a decent amount. He's now nibbling and making bleeting noise when we leave the room, which he hadn't done for a whole day either. I'm really hopeful. I keep giving him the Fruit Fresh drench. He's still doing some stretching and arching, but not as much. He's feeling well enough to walk around and jump up on the bed to lay down for snuggles. 🥰 Husband wants to rehome him because he's just another "useless wether", but he'll have to fight me for him, lol. Boy is stealing my heart 💖
Working animal Goat Ear Sheep Fawn

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
He weighs slightly less than my two-year-old grandson. My bathroom scale is terrible, but it puts my grandson at 24 and the goat at about 19, so it might be accurate enough. I tried getting pictures to show his size next to him, but neither of them was making it easy, lol. His back is just above knee level.

He has peed three times now and is eating hay and interested in water. I'm scared to give him too much, but he's not stretching or arching much at all, so I just gave him some. His poo is starting to clump up some. He's walking around the room trying to get into everything. 😂 He's being an absolute pain, but I'm so glad to see it.
Carnivore Dog breed Floor Flooring Shorts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts