sickly looking goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sabine, Nov 4, 2009.

1. sabine

sabine Guest

Jul 2, 2009
    I bought 20 boer crosses from a guy here a few monthes back now. I've noticed one is staying away from the rest of the herd. She looks a little skinny and her back is kinda hunched up under her when she stands. Any ideas what she mights be suffering from. The rest of my herd it fine other than one of my diarys she has a kinda cough and I've noticed her nosy was runny yesterday. Does that mean she has a cold? Can you give goats penicillin like a horse to help maybe with a cold? I have just dewormed the herd(the topical stuff). I also gave my sick one a vitamin and enzyme supplement just to see if it would help. My goats have excess to minerals and salt. I also give them a grain mixture first thing in the morning then they get their hay.
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Sabine

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first off I would get a temperature on the doe. Normal temp is 101.5-103

What "normal stuff" did you use to worm with?

A cough and snotty nose along with being hunched and standing away from the herd is not good. They are all indications that she has or is developing pneumonia and yes penicillin can help but I would first get a temp on her.

If you do use Pen it is 1cc per 10lbs twice a day (this is for respiratory - if it was just an infection I would do 1cc per 20lbs).

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey, so glad you got on and gave advice......saw this post early this morning and thought it didn't sound good, but didn't know what the best advice would be......I would also get a fecal done, sounds also like possible cocci to me.

Hoping you goat gets better, Denise

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Have you had a fecal done? I would also be checking for Cocci. I would get that done now or you will lose this goat. i would consider taking her tot he vet.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    everyone has great advice ....I agree... that is it a good idea ...to get a fecal done....I am praying :hug: :pray:

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yep, I'd guess cocci, and get her started on meds soon, I almost lost Princess this year because I didn't know cocci could get an adult goat that sick.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    The penicillin will only do any good if she has a bacterial infection. Antibiotics will not kill viruses, and the 'cold' that humans and animals both experience is viral. I'd have a vet look at both animals. And if the whole herd is together, and one is sick, they are probably all infected.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that is correct.

But if a goat just has a cold they rarely act that far off, it usually means something more speaking from years of experience.