The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to the barn yesterday to feed and I hear this horrible hacking noise. I go outside to see one of our pygmies stumbling and falling around, while coughing/throwing up this white frothy stuff mixed with digested plants. At one point she almost couldn't breath she was throwing up so much of it. This lasted for(what I know) about 10-20 minutes. Then with a few smaller coughs, she was on her way to eating with the other goats. After that she's been completely normal. Eating, drinking, pooping well. Any idea what could have caused this?

We have this weed in their pen that none of them seem to want to eat. I even tried picking a leaf and offering it to them, but it has all these little tiny sharp hairs and I ended up with a few of them stuck(and itching like crazy!) in my finger. Could she have tried to eat this and it hurt her throat so she coughed it up?

I honestly had no idea what was going on...I though about her maybe eating a poisonous plant that made her sick?

Her and the other pygmy have been coughing a bit lately...I'm thinking it's lungworms. I gave them Quest Plus but I'm almost sure it doesn't treat for those worms...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I went out to the barn yesterday to feed and I hear this horrible hacking noise. I go outside to see one of our pygmies stumbling and falling around, while coughing/throwing up this white frothy stuff mixed with digested plants. At one point she almost couldn't breath she was throwing up so much of it. This lasted for(what I know) about 10-20 minutes. Then with a few smaller coughs, she was on her way to eating with the other goats. After that she's been completely normal. Eating, drinking, pooping well. Any idea what could have caused this?

We have this weed in their pen that none of them seem to want to eat. I even tried picking a leaf and offering it to them, but it has all these little tiny sharp hairs and I ended up with a few of them stuck(and itching like crazy!) in my finger. Could she have tried to eat this and it hurt her throat so she coughed it up?

I honestly had no idea what was going on...I though about her maybe eating a poisonous plant that made her sick?

Her and the other pygmy have been coughing a bit lately...I'm thinking it's lungworms. I gave them Quest Plus but I'm almost sure it doesn't treat for those worms...
I believe ivermectin once and then safeguard for 5 days later takes care of it... That's what I did for my girl... Courtesy of Goathiker's instructions:)

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Sounds like she choked... if they have an obstruction it will cause them to cough and hack and go "down" because their air is cut off. As long as she's doing well now I wouldn't worry too much.
As fr as coughing in general... it may not even be a parasite but because of the change in weather as well as the Fall allergens.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Liz is correct...when they choke it can really be scary...I wouldnt run for the wormer just yet ... sounds like she is doing well now...always watch for rumen upset when they go through that..bloat or even in sever cases the rumen will shut down...

if coughing persist then it could be lung worm, allergies, dust or pnumonia...wormer should not be the first thing we run to, a fecal can prove worm load, you can do a home test for lung worms..collect a few berries from said goat, tie tight in a square of gauze and float over night in water..worms or larve will float to the top...if you see any, then treat with ivomec plus ( I say"plus" because if you are going to worm my as well cover more types of worms, the plus gets the liver fluke). if you dont see worms..then retest in a few days..worms drop eggs in cycles...in the mean time try a dose of benadryl, check feed and hay for dust/mold ect....
best wishes

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
The plant you're describing is Stinging Nettle. It is safe for them to eat and they will when it blooms and the 'stings' go away for a couple weeks. I agree it was probably choke.
Janeen's case was a little different with the wormer. She had been fighting with parasites on this goat for a very long time so we kind of went with what will kill almost everything I can think of...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great! We've been struggling to get this goat healthy forever, I've done weeks of Red Cell, worming(Quest & herbal), and dyne, administered at least every 3 days, but she's still anemic and underweight with a potbelly. I'm glad it's not something that could cause long term effects, or is because of a bigger problem. Any advice on how to deal with choking in the future?

Happybleats, does it need to be wrapped in gauze or can you just float the poop in water?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Goathiker suggests wrapping it in gauze..I bet other wise the poop will also seperate and make it hard to see worms or larve

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
use a single layer of gauze will have plenty of escape room..she sggest twisting it tight ..: ) like a hershy kiss

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah, kk. Thanks! Not sure how my parents will like goat poop in their house...but it's better than paying to get a fecal done :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts