The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weaned wether - about five months old - who has had a history of parasites and anemia (bottle jaw a couple of times). He's been pretty skinny all along. Now he is skin and bones but has seemed ok otherwise.

Two nights ago I found him laying on the ground staring at the sky, pretty unresponsive. I got him up and into the barn, gave him some probiotic and got him eating hay. I also gave him some ivomec orally as his eyelids were pale (though not white). He was last dewormed about two weeks ago. He's back in with the other wethers now and seems ok - though perhaps a bit sluggish.

He has had a lot of sticky, black drool on his lips and chin since this happened though. Is that a sign of anything more serious than worms? I haven't been able to find anything specific on it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
okay, here is a shot in the dark..
is it actual liquid that you can touch that is black? Or is he very bruised and that is the blood surfacing? He may have been hit hard by another goat straight in the face. I've seen this in mine when they chew on my trees or we go hike to a spot that has pine or soft barked trees. They will chew and strip bark until they are very bruised and all get black mouths and tongues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry - I have tried to reply three times now from my phone and the message has not posted. Doing it now from my computer.

Anyway, he seems to be on the rebound. The drool has stopped and he is up and running around with the others, though perhaps not as sprightly as usual. He is eating normally.

He had been treated for cocci along with the rest of the herd about two months ago. Currently, his stool appears normal.

The black stuff was definitely not bruising. I am wondering if he ate some sticky pine bark or something, but I just don't know. It was at the same time he was down, though.

Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update. After seeming to start recovering, he got very weak again and the black/green drool was coming back new. I took him to the vet two weeks ago and fecals came back clear for parasites and cocci. The black/green tar-like substance is actually regurgitated cud. Seems like he can't keep it down. Vet listened to his rumen and he said it sounded normal, though very weak.

We brought him back and let him hang out in the barn by himself for a few days. He didn't seem to be getting better or worse so we put him back out with others on pasture hoping that would improve things, but it hasn't. Right now he is very weak, covered in urine and regurgitated cud, and wasting away.

Rather than let him starve to death, I'm going to put him down - unless there are any last minute saves I could try that might help him bounce back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I would think if it is being regurgitated, it would have to of been something he ate. it is not responding well in his system. Might be the tree or something else.
Did you treat for toxin poisoning?
I haven't treated for toxins. The vet thought if it was something he ate that moving him to a new area, plenty of water, decent hay, it would dilute out enough to not be an issue. He hasn't been back in that pasture since my first post here and is doing no better.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
C D Antitoxin or Milk of magnsia....treat him first and see how he does...give doses daily of probios...pull him off feed and offer green leaves hay and alfalfa only...he needs help kick starting his rumen...

first choice is C D antitoxin...20 cc every 6 hours along with B complex daily...

if you can not find CDAntitoxin use M.O.M. is 15 cc per 60# ..2 times a day..it may cause loose stools..let it run its course as it clears his rumen of toxins...
when a goat chokes it upsets the rumen..sometimes its hard for them to readjust themselves...the anitoxins or mom will help bind the toxins and the B conple is a support vitamin...the leaves are full of good stuff to help the rumen and they usally will eat them when they wont eat anything else...
keep him hydrated..here is a good recipe to make for him

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
I would also carefully check to be sure that there isn't a thorn or stick caught in his teeth, roof of mouth, or interfering with his tongue.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Good call Goathiker!!! Could very well be his issue...this would also mess up his rumen function...

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Have you taken his temp? i would just to keep a eye on it and see where it is.

I am sorry I have no more advice they have it all covered. Good luck. I hope he pulls out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all he great advice. This is what I've been looking for - and for some reason have been having trouble finding. I'll report back.

In response to some other points, his temp has been fine all along. Also, he doesn't get any grain, just grass/browse and good hay. I've offered alfalfa pellets but he's not interested. He does nibble and eat though - he just doesn't seem to be getting much out of it.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
really sounds like rumen issues, pos. a sticker or joke that started it..hopefully the treatment suggested will help him...Best wishes!!! SOunds like he is great hands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts