The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I FINALLY have good milk from Heidi....but only lasts 24 hours and goes bitter....off....yucky....:(

I milk into SS pail...within minutes I strain through a KenAG milk filter into glass quart jars. put in ice water in a bowl, and into the fridge in the ice water. Fridge is set one level higher than suggested and things at the top in the back get really cold, almost icy....

Jars,SS pails are washed with dish soap,rinsed, put in bleach water, rinsed and air dried...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Could she be eating a weed that the others are not eating? Curious, because some of mine will eat the sticker bushes (non blackberry kind) and others won't even touch it. Since you are feeding them all the same thing.... maybe? I'm hoping it isn't Heidi however that might explain why one day it was good and the next it was bad. So sorry you are going through this.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Are your jars new canning jars? Or did they have a past life? Things like pickle, red sauce, etc. soak into the glass and sour milk.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the milk is good until the next day or two...

Jars had red sauces in them.
I wash her udder with udder wash from Fiasco farms recipe and dip after.
I am not pasteurizing milk.
She had really bitter milk then I gave copper bolus and it improved...it still is great if you drink it that day, but after it sits in the fridge for a day it gets bitter again.

I just gave selenium/e gel tonight since she had not had it since kidding May 2nd.

I wash the jars and SS pails in dish soap, then rinse and soak for 1-2 minutes in bleach water, then rinse again and air dry.

I may try pasteurizing in the next couple of days....just to see if it helps. How soon should you pasteurize milk after milking?
And what is the cooling process?

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could she be eating a weed that the others are not eating? Curious, because some of mine will eat the sticker bushes (non blackberry kind) and others won't even touch it. Since you are feeding them all the same thing.... maybe? I'm hoping it isn't Heidi however that might explain why one day it was good and the next it was bad. So sorry you are going through this.
No, they get hay only and grain right now.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, I think you are narrowing it down to being the goat that is the problem.
Well, I hope not but why would it taste good for a day only? I stick it in ice water within minutes of milking and it goes right into the fridge (fridge is a year old and works great)

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
The acid in the glass jars is seeping into your milk. You can't wash it out. Try some new canning jars.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I agree! Has to be the jars or your refrigerator if it gradually worsens after cooling. A lot of people we know have had problems with overused jars.

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
also when you pull the jars out of the bleach solution don't rinse them again, just let them air dry. in other words don't rinse the bleach off, it needs to sit to sanitize.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was having the same problem with my milk until I read on here that you are not supposed to shake goat's milk. I would shake the cream back into it before I poured it. The next time I used it - GOATY!!! this was happening all the time. I stopped shaking and now just rotate a little. It seems to have helped a bunch. I do have one doe however that we can not drink the milk from- I am hoping that it is the rag weed she sometimes eats though and still milking her for the piglets.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Research how toxic Chlorine bleach is for your body, you will change your mind on "not rinsing your glass jars" .

Buy new 1/2 gallon canning jars and use those.

Instead of putting your jars of milk in ice in the refrigerator, put them in the coolest spot in your freezer. Preferably right next to the air vent in the freezer. I leave mine in there for about 1 hour, then move them to the fridge. I like to leave them almost two hours if I am not going to use them right away, they get about 1/4 to 1/2 frozen and it seems to make them keep longer and I have noticed it takes away from the onset of goatiness! I have noticed if I take my jars out of my ice water and into the fridge, my milk taste goaty, but not if I do the freezer trick first.

I set a timer so I dont forget the Jars of milk. If you plan on freezing milk in glass jars, don't fill the jars over 3/4 full or your jars will break.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
The only symptom of a sub-clinical staff infection is the milk going bad quickly. Might be time to send in a milk sample...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts