The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just started keeping goats in January so I am still fairly new at this. Trying to decide if I should copper bolus, but I wanted to see if anyone sees signs of deficiency. I attached photos. I have noticed any balding including on the tail. They are all soft, but don’t necessarily look sleek. I am in Florida so it’s really humid here right now. The white boy’s hair has just recently started growing very long and he has been acting very “Bucky”. The brown and white doe is my only adult. The others range from 3months-9months. Thank you in advance for your help!

Working animal Dog breed Goat Door Snout
Mammal Fawn Working animal Wood Grass
Llama Camelid Alpaca Grass Fawn
Plant Eye Goat Human body Fawn

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
540 Posts
On your two black goats, it looks like their rear legs are getting a rusty color, a sign of copper deficiency. Usually, black goats show deficiency signs more and sooner, so I'm sure they could all benefit from a copper bolus. What kind of minerals do you feed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I give free choice Manna Pro goat mineral. It’s the only one I can find in my area.

I also feed small amount of country feeds 16% medicated goat pellet, which I think has some copper in it, but probably not enough.
I feed alfalfa pellets with the pellets in the am and they get free choice Timothy Hay and pasture.
Is this bolus okay to use?

The black ones are still pretty small I just got them the other day so I don’t know if I should wait to give to them.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
540 Posts
Are you able to get this mineral? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-wind-rain-storm-all-season-75-complete

I know it is for cattle, but I (and many others) use and have great results with it! IMO, it's better than Manna Pro. I have owed goats for three and a half years and never had to copper bolus any of my goats. Even my black goat are super smooth and shiny!! But, that is just what works for me. Your goats are different then mine and you don't live were I do, so the cattle mineral might not work for you. If you are able to get them, I would highly recommend trying them out though! It would be so awesome if they work for you goats too, no more copper boluses!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, that would be fine. There is also Santa Cruz copper bolus that is what I use.The easiest way to bolus my goats is hide the bolus in a banana or coat it with peanut butter. If your goats don't like either of those just find some tasty treat to disguise it in. Here are some copper videos from this goat lady that might help. I love her channel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you able to get this mineral? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-wind-rain-storm-all-season-75-complete

I know it is for cattle, but I (and many others) use and have great results with it! IMO, it's better than Manna Pro. I have owed goats for three and a half years and never had to copper bolus any of my goats. Even my black goat are super smooth and shiny!! But, that is just what works for me. Your goats are different then mine and you don't live were I do, so the cattle mineral might not work for you. If you are able to get them, I would highly recommend trying them out though! It would be so awesome if they work for you goats too, no more copper boluses!!
I will see if I can get that and try it out! Thank you for the recommendation

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that would be fine. There is also Santa Cruz copper bolus that is what I use.The easiest way to bolus my goats is hide the bolus in a banana or coat it with peanut butter. If your goats don't like either of those just find some tasty treat to disguise it in. Here are some copper videos from this goat lady that might help. I love her channel.

Thank you for the advice! I will look into that brand as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts