The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Pygmy doe and a LamanchaX doe. At the sellers place they were in a 6' square wire pen with 3 other goats. One of the other goats was the 6 month old buckling from one of the other does. Could he have done the deed? Our spring comes late up here (northern BC Canada) so I don't know if they had started cycling yet. I got them on May 19th and have watched for signs of coming into heat. Nothing obvious so far (figured I may see something 21 days later ). They spend the daytime out on the property with my 3 wethers. Could I miss seeing if the girls come into heat? Anything particular to watch for? Would my wethers react to the girls some if they were in heat? Any advice is helpful. (these are my first does)

·
2,203 Posts
She could cycle seasonal, or she might cycle year round. Depends.

Watch for:

Tail flagging
Extreme vocalization
Overly needy
Standing to be mounted
Chasing other does to mount them
Circling or pacing the fence line
Pestering the buck, wether, or head doe
The "happy look". When you see it, you'll know.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I never know what to look for either. is there any youtube videos out there that has these signs? I can't tell what's normal behaviour vs heat behaviour....

·
2,203 Posts
Another inexpensive thing you can do is pick up a $2.00 livestock paint stick and do some tail chalking. Draw a line down her back. When the buck mounts he'll rub some off and onto himself. This is really a great method for pasture flocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts