The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in South Africa and have 2 Saanen Goats,they are like family!! The whole kidding process is very stressful to me as both has showed all the signs of kidding now for 3 days already but no signs of little ones yet - can this take so long?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Welcome from California! :wave:

How is your doe's udder? Tight? Are her ligaments hard, soft, gone ect.? Pictures?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replying-her ligaments have gone soft, there has been mucus discharge since Sunday and there is signs of restlessness-her udder is "full" but not tight yet.She is still eating...I will take a picture tomorrow morning.Can they carry over the 5 month period?

·
Registered
30,675 Posts
welcome from Central Texas... hope all goes well..:D I love Saanen!!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Yes, they can go over the 5 month mark. I think the longest gestation I've heard of is 155 days.

·
Registered
30,675 Posts
sounds like she is very close :D ..a due date is an estimate..not a promise..Goats are not always coopertive to our time table...Happy Kidding..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also when I walk into the pen Sara will come and rub her head against my leg...this is not normal behaviour for her.

·
Registered
30,675 Posts
personaities can change while in labor....even early stages...she is letting you know time is near and she wants you there ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have uploaded photo's of Sara...her while belly has sagged-there is one from behind as well-but her udder is not full yet-there is still place for a lot of milk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 2 top photo's are for Dottie-she seems ok- Sara is my main concern-refer to latter 3 photos...she is quite big and according to my calculations her due date should have been 01 July 2013...

·
Registered
30,675 Posts
She looks to have dropped...but her udder does not look ready...But that can happen 30 minutes before..I wouldnt be worried..she doesnt look in destress...keep a watch..she wil let you know its time..I would worm her right after she kids...I use Valbazen on new moms, its great to help clean out andy Tape she may have....Happy Kidding

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
She isn't quite there yet, if she is in trouble, she won't be rubbing on you. So she is holding on a bit more.

Late in pregnancy, they can have a discharge for quite sometime. If you see a amber clear tube like discharge she is really close. Ligs can come and go as well. It is the Doe code of honor, they can fool us. Keep a close eye on her cause it is soon. Happy Kidding :) ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts